sarahjames

Headphones for DJing and Studio

6 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a good pair of headphones I can use for DJing and studio use. Nothing tooo expensives, but I also want them to be of good quality, so I don't mind spending more if it is necessary. I want to buy some within the next few days, so any help is appreciated.

:)

Beyerdynamic DT770Pro or the main stay - Sennheiser HD25's. Personally the 770's would be my pick as they're nicer to wear, everything is available as a spare and they sound good. So good their 'open' version cousin, the DT990Pro, is still pretty much the benchmark for studio use. They're loud, but they don't distort so you'll happily go deaf full spectrum :P The HD25's are tried and true for club use, but they don' sound that great, they're uncomfortable if worn for long periods and they're expensive for what you get.

Both are really at what the upper end of the budget of anyone should be... but not being sure what country you're in and how much you want to spend it's hard to recommend anything but what i'd consider the better options. Not to say they're the most expensive option... but they're also not the cheapest.

Your best option is to rock down to your local audio or DJ shop and give a few pairs a try. Most places have them on demo - well, i'm assuming you're in NZ/Aus/UK/USA where it's normal to be able to audition before buying.

Going deaf full spectrum is exactly what I am after! :D

I have personally tried out the Sennheiser HD25's and although they sounded good, and felt okay at first, after about 45 minutes my ears started getting a bit sore so those are definitely a no-go for me. As for the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's - I don't believe I have had a chance to try them on, but I have read some good reviews so I think I may have to go down to the store and see if they have one on display. A buddy of mine recomended the Audio Technica ATH-M70X's here - from what I've read it seems like they get great reviews pretty much only for personal music listening, though so I'm not really sure what to think - Do you have any experience with those? Would you still go with the Beyerdynamic's over Audio Technica? They're pretty much in the same price range it looks like, though my local shop I can probably get the M70X's for about 40$ off list price.

Thanks again for your time.

I think the biggest thing with the Beyers is that they fit OVER the ear and apply pressure to your skull... where most headphones squash or touch the ear itself. This makes the Beyers really comfy for very long periods. AudioTechnica make good sounding headphones, but i don't personally think they have the durability of the Beyers.

I've also found over the years that you can rebuild Beyers in replacement parts for basically what it costs you to buy a new set. Try and do that with any of the other brands and you'll go bankrupt... nearly :P 

Try them both out - it sounds like you're in the right price bracket and you're looking at the right models so it's going to come down to personal choice. I don't think you'll find either a bad option.

When my current Fostex T40RP's die I'm switching to Beyer DT770 or 990 - so transparent sounding and comfortable to wear. Kicking myself for not buying them in the first place. The Fostex sound great and I got a good deal on them but they're so friggin heavy they give you a neck ache.

Well, I think I'm going to stick with the majority opinion and go for the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's then!

Thanks guys :)