Engineer13

Science Sound engineering final project

3 posts in this topic

Hey people,

I'm about to start my uni final year project. For this i need to create a new invention that hasn't been done before and i'm now stuck for ideas. My first idea was using a line array speaker in a home theater to increase the level at one spot for a death person... Its been done. Then i thought of using sensors for a hand tapping drum that can work as a DAW midi instrument... Been done. Can anybody give suggestions on cool, innovative, technology based projects that haven't been done (Apps, midi instruments, acoustics - anything)? They need to relate to sound!

How about an auto tune, that actually makes singers sound good? Hasn't been done before...

OR, you could make a machine that records when cats fight and then restructures them to make Britney Spears songs. No - that's definitely been done...

Hmmm... this is tuff...

Why don't you try doing an surround system where you use phase shifting and time alignment to move the sound focal point around the room... without needing to encode the sound. I.e. take a mono source and do it. Not completely novel - but for a final year project, i'm surprised they want you to do something totally novel. Normally you're taking something and making it better or proving it works is generally enough for a final year. Novel idea's are for PhD's in my experience.

Hmmm tricky...

The problem with asking the question on a forum is that if anyone has a killer idea they're not going to give it away for all to see and steal.

Do the teachers want an actual device/app realised to a completed form, or just a concept proposal?