Spectrum

So what's new?

2 posts in this topic

Hey fellow 'Punks, so what's new?

Got a couple of "Benjamin Britten" Christmas-themed orchestra and choir performances coming up: combining an acoustic snare, cymbals, triangle and tambourine up with four electronic timpani and a couple of 40" bass drums (V-Drums and BFD2 with orchestra expansion pack).

As typical, it's a 2-player percussion score that I'm gonna do my best to cover by myself, hence the electronics involved to keep everything easily re-tunable mid-song and compact to keep everything within arms - and foots) reach.

Somehow just wound up loading up a Mac-Mini onto a shelf in a SKB rack case along with the necessary audio and MIDI interface hardware, with a screen attached, effectively becoming a "laptop" the size of a small coffee table, I'm sure there was a point there somewhere. Will posts pics at some point.

So what's happening in your musical, artistic, performing, writing, composing, or just plain chillin' world?

Hey, your rig sounds like it could use my new drum/percussion sample tagging system! ;)

Actually just waiting for the thesis that explains it to be passed and published so I can actually show everyone what I've produced.

The Percussive Audio Lexicon (PAL) - 2500+ descriptors of drums and percussion - instrument names, morphological features (shape/size/range/materials), beater properties, details about stroke type, placement and dynamics, envelope data, temporal data, spectral data, timbre descriptors and onomatopoeia. 8 years in the making and finally finished!

Now if only NI or Spectrasonics would license the thing I'd be a happy man :)

That said, in its first incarnation I'd be happy to get it XML'd or RDF'd into an interactive web page or MPEG-7 taxonomy. Will be looking into applying for grants to pay someone to do the coding grunt work for me.

In the meantime, as soon as I have the thesis published I'll post a link to a text version of the lexicon for drum nerds like your good self to peruse!