Alex K Vogt

Unconventional Immersive Surround Sound mixing

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm an absolute noob to forums. This would be my first. But this is a community I'm interested in getting into and get to know how everyone else in the industry gets along with it.

So to the topic:

I'm doing some research on immersive sound and unconventional ways of mixing in surround sound formats, (generally 5.1 as that's what I've got available). The biggest example of a contemporary film that uses unconventional mixing techniques is "Gravity". Even though most people may argue it to be a boring movie, knowing what goes behind the production and post-production, I can appreciate it a lot more. 

The most obvious mixing technique used in the scene where Sandra Bullock's character (mostly shot in POV) spins around after a satellite had struck their space station. This where the dialogue, conventionally place only in the Center speaker is panned around the surround field to intensify the effect of her spinning. This would of course exaggerate the fact that she is spinning, but mostly make the audience more immersed in the characters position. 

So overall I'm trying to find out what other sort of unconventional mixing techniques are used nowadays? How important immersion is in a soundtrack?

Would be great to find out what everyone thinks of the situation, most of all with Dolby Atmos starting to replace most 7.1 surround sound theatres. 

Any comments, further research, follow up questions or suggestions would be kindly appreciated. 

Good question Yalex, but i don't think you will find  much peoples that can get you an answer. I don;t know the dolby techniques, but how do i see all the sorround "industry" , i see some good delays with some good reverbs. If you have the time to play with the delay , echos (reverb) you can do anything. You need some mathematics knwoledge also.  The spin sound in Gravity is .. imposibile, because we all know that in space you dont have air, nothing, so sound can;t travel nowhere. You can;t hear the spin. The replacement from 5.1 to 7.1  means that you have people that are far and close from the screen and in different point they can hear something else. Because is a "general" technique used in cinema theaters they need to be sure everyone use it. So if you want to sold a movie that have 7.1 you need to be sure that sound system is 7.1 . It;s easier to convert 7.1 to 5.1 , but to convert 5.1 in 7.1 it's more harder, i think you can do that in a special movie studio. And all the movie theater they have a basic or special 5.1/7.1 sound system. They need to calculete the distance from the speakers and make that dolby delays. Imagine someone trow a stone at you: center will have the sound initiate that trow , first side speaker will have the sound of the stone in the air from the initiate trwoing stone to the sound of stone in air, the second side speaker will have the sound that stone coming at you and the rear speaker will have the sound that hit you with that stone. In 5.1 you will have that sound in 3 way, in 7.1 will have the some sound in 4 ways. But in the same time you will have PAN (left and right combined with that 4 ways of sound). The same techqnuies applies on 7.1 headphones (delays and reverbs and some EQ).English is not my native language so i dont know exactly what do you want to know about sorround sound.