ems

Audio Interfaces

6 posts in this topic

Hello, supr noob here

Very very new to production, just had a recent spark of interest.
After my hasty, eager research I have decided that the first piece of equipment I should purchase is an audio interface.

I have narrowed my choices down to:
http://www.amazon.com/Native-Instruments-Komplete-Audio-6/dp/B004YPRPJ6/ref=pd_ybh_2
http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-2i4-USB-Interface/dp/B009B15N0Q/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1407779768&sr=8-6&keywords=audio+interface

Can anyone recommend one over the other? Does anyone have experience with either piece? Are there better options for entry level audio interfaces? 

I have a couple of MIDI keyboards and I am also interested in recording live audio for cello, acoustic guitar, and grand piano.

I have recently begun familiarizing myself with Reaper, and I think I will wait to master it until I move on to any other software. Does anyone have anything to say about Reaper?

Any other knowledge on getting properly set up would be much appreciated!

thanks

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 it's a best buy. But also you need 2 good mics if you want to record acoustic guitar, cello, for grand piano you need like 4 or 3 very good  mics, Jester knows better.

Maybe you should look for Steinberg UR44. Jester we need your help !

Yeah, stick with the audio interface and move on to mic's later. Reaper is a good product and makes a very attractive intro to production software. Cost is low, but learning curve will be high - stick with it.

_dmg is right - if you're serious about mic'ing acoustic instruments, you'll want a 'tool bag' of mic's. Build it with time - but to me it sounds like you're on the right path and either of those interfaces is OK to start with.

Call me brand conscious...

Yeah, my pick would be FOCUSRITE, with a long pedigree in the audio hardware industry.

Whereas, NI is arguably a newcomer to the hardware realm, coming from software.

In saying that, they're both only as good as their last product.

Also, I know it's all down to spare cash, do you think you'd ever want to record more than two mic sources at once? Such as a stereo something plus a vocal? While this could be done separately, one after the other, just flagging the possibility of desiring the 4 x preamp version down the track. Though if thinking that, I'd be stretching up to to Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 USB, so perhaps scrap that, and get something cheap like the 2i4 for now and make music. The quality is essentially the same through the range.

The ideea of 4 preamps is when you want to record a grand piano or drums, where you need at least 3 mics. I found a sound card for stereo ouput , it;s more for Pc, Asus Essence St/stx, did anyone use it ?