Henry O'Callaghan

Studio Recording

2 posts in this topic

Hi! I'm in a band and we're setting up our first (and my first) recording studio. I was in my junior high A/V club, so I have a little bit of experience with sound equipment, but not a whole lot. I am mostly wondering what kind of options I have for dampening. We have a drum set, an electric bass, vocals, two guitars, and a trumpet. We are looking to spend less than $500 on dampening, but could go over if need be. The room (http://imgur.com/a/jQwLY) Has some lowish ceilings and is decently small, but has a weird wall/ceiling thing in it (refer to album). I wanted to know what the best sound absortion technique would be. I found this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPK264QToYU) video, is this a good idea? Also, the room has a surface area of 442ft^2. 

Thank you in advance,
daliberator

P.S. While I'm here, I might as well ask my other question. How does one record individual inputs? If you could refer me to a video or something, or better yet a brief explination, that would be great.

For your second question - you need a mixer. Then, depending on the number of channels you mix down to, you need a sound card or 'multitrack' to record… multiple tracks. Presonus and a few others are doing reasonable mixer come sound cards these days. But if you have miss and line inputs (you'll mainly have mic's), you'll need to start with a cheap mixer and record down to stereo - which is effectively 'live' mixing.

As for your main question, it's a bit hard to figure out what you're trying to achieve. Do you want to stop the noise leaving the room and bothering neighbours, or is it acoustic treatment to make the room sound better? Also, what type of speaker are you planning to put in? Just the muso's amps and acoustics from the trumpet and drums?

If you're looking to treat the room, you really need to start off by locating what the problem frequencies are. It's suggest some bass traps in the corners and a rug or two on the floor to start with. You can use old sofa's/lounge chairs in place of professional bass traps and effectively achieve some improvement in sound quality while having somewhere to sit.

If you want to prevent sound getting out, rock wool is your best bet, perhaps wrapped in fabric and glued to the walls if you can't or don't want to rip down the plaster and re-plaster them. Buy the rock wool, glue it to some 3mm MDF the same size, staple gun some hessian or cheap linen fabric over them and then glue or screw them in place on the flat walls (not the sloped ones).

Even if you can't get 100% coverage for 'sound insulation' by breaking down standing waves and absorbing the sound in some locations, it will greatly reduce the noise that leaves the room. A good seal on the door is also essential - a draft excluder down the bottom and some foam sealing tape around the edges would be a good start, along with rock wool on the back of the door. Also do it to the window - cover it in 10-20mm MDF with rock wool over the top. Windows leak heaps of sound so by sealing it, the room will be quitter to everyone outside… though it may be darker and dingier...

Personally, i think it's a really bad place for a studio, but would make a bearable rehearsal space. You best bet will be some soft furniture and then put up as much of the covered rock wool as you can over every flat wall.