Andrew Porter

Mid/Large Scale Outdoor Array

9 posts in this topic

A couple buddies and I are looking at starting a production company after college.  We've all been in the industry professionally for a couple years now.  My dilema is one where there's not really a wrong answer, just looking for opinions from other people in the industry.

I'm brainstorming on what audio equipment we want to invest in right of the bat.  Keep in mind that it has to be something that will be flexible and be useful school theatres all the way up to large outdoor festivals and everything in between.  

So for smaller gigs like in schools where not much is required i've got:

(4) QSC KW 153

(4) QSC KW181 Subs

(1) DBX Driverack PX

(4) QSC K12 (Monitors)

(1) Behringer X32 Producer

All of these speakers are powered which makes it a realy simple solution for smaller spaces where you want alot of headroom and plenty of vocal clarity.

On the array side of things i'm torn.  I recently demo'ed the new VUE al-8, and VUE al-4 systems and was highly impressed.  They have the new burillium (I can't spell) drivers and with no system or speaker EQ vocals are clear and un-compressed all the way up above the 20K range.  But they don't put out as much raw DB as other systems in their class.  They're also not powered, and VUE's software isn't very comprehensive as of yet. And lastly, they have no arrayble Subs. Some venues don't have room or other reasons to not ground stack subs and i'd like the option to fly them.  I then turned to JBL's Vertec Series.  I can put together a comprable system from JBL for only a couple thousand more.  The Vertec is built with a culmination of all of JBL's previous products, and they pack more raw power per cab.  I was looking at the compact series since they are only 90lbs/Cab and I want to be able to hang them just about anywhere we may go. JBL has much better control software.  The cabs I was looking at are powered so they all network and I can have complete control of the system from my laptop. So here what I was thinking on both systems.

VUE:

(32) VUE-al4 (Passive Mains)

(24) VUE hs-28 (Powered Subs)

JBL:

(24) VT4887ADP-DA (Powered Mains, AES Input and networking)

(6) JBL VT 4881ADP-DA (Powered, Single 18", Cardioid Arrayable Subs, AES Inputs, Networking)

(16) JBL VT4880ADP-DA (Powered, Dual 18", Ground/Flyable Subs, AES Inputs, Networking)

The JBL System deploys less speakers, but they pack quite a bit more punch then the VUE System, theyre networkable, digital inputs, and flyable Subs

Has anyone used the JBL Vertec System and can vouch for or trash it? I just want as much info as possible.  I'll probably try and get a demo but in the meantime what do ya'll think?

Thanks!

Hi Andrew and welcome to the forum!

I'm no live sound expert and not familiar with the vue system you mention but as a musician I've played through vertecs and they sound good. Yes raw db perhaps over the 'sweetness' you get with a nexo system (my personal fave) or the like but eq and reverb can sort that out ;)

Sounds like you've done your research and your arguments seem logical re the processors and so on too.

Here in aust jbl is distributed by one of our largest live audio suppliers and installers so there is good backup support for them too. Dont know the scenario in the states but jbl are pretty much a global company, you'd hope their after sales support, warranties etc would be good.

Yeah I'd like to eventually get a nexo STM system but off the bat it sounds a bit too expensive. And for starting out I want something smaller and lighter weight. The jbl vertec compact boxes and the vue system are each under 100lbs per box while the nexo STM is around 160 per box. But I am very impressed with the nexo systems. I'd also eventually enjoy owning a Meyer, and a d&b system. All in time. I think vue is gonna give me the best bang for my buck as far as all around flexibility and price.

I have used meyer for about 2 years, the system  sound nice, you  dont have the liniar and cold sound is more like warm sound, something like a 120-200 hz boost, and the sound is compresed, the subs are boosted on 60 hz also, they have a specific sound made for jazz, orchestra, heavy metal, maybe alternativ rock, for a cold and liniar sound i recomand you Martin audio,  L'acoustics or D&B powered by Lab gruppen amps or you have more money go for Adamson, nexo don;t sound good is more for clubbin area. I never heard the compact vertec, but the vrx from jbl, the cuverd array is superb, paired with jbl 728s subs or 718s the sound is very nice made for different applications like clubbin, live shows, etc. Are better than nexo.

If you have alot of money you can go for stage monitors with meyer sound Mjf212a but is 5000 $ one.

"(4) QSC KW 153

(4) QSC KW181 Subs

(1) DBX Driverack PX

(4) QSC K12 (Monitors)

(1) Behringer X32 Producer"

Coming from a QSC K10 / KW181 owner, I can vouch for the sweet, extended sound, all round versatility in their back panel options, and backed by a 6 year warranty.

Regarding the Driverack, how would this be used? I'd allow the boxes to manage all crossover / limiting, so perhaps just use it for room EQ correction?

And not to discredit Behringer's significant step up in quality over the past few years (and taking over MIDAS and utilise their digital mixing technology), but if I were investing today in a small digital console, I'd likely go with the Allen & Heath QU series, such as a QU24 or QU32 (if you're needing to match the Behringer X32 input count).

Behringer's x32  it's all over the Allen & Heath digital series, the sound from behringer is cold and warm in the same time, it;s very nice. but only on medium volume, don;t reach red on headroom, the sound becomes nasty, x32 use midas preamp and klark tecknik dynamics. It's a nice mixer, better than ls9 or other mixers from yamaha, i used the x32 with l'acoustics vdosc (12") the sound was beautifull until reacht red on headroom. SO , x32 is the mixer of the year, cheaper and good.

I don't like the sound from QSC tops, it's boosted, really you can use it only for rock music. Qsc is like peavy sound, american way, for rock. 

The best choice will be: Martin audio (cold sound), L'acoustics ( very real/ cold / warm / sound), D&B, Adamson ( perfect sound).

JBL - better than RCF (vrx is nice)

EV - powerful but not right sound

Meyer Sound (you have everything you want, no need for EQ when you have Galileo [The best sound processor/matrix in the world])

I don;t know about EAW there in USA, but if you are looking for a nice sound and perfect money you can go for EAW is like between JBL and L'acoustics. The sound is right, both for sub and tops.

"the sound from behringer is cold and warm in the same time"

Now there's a conflicting statement. ;)

Great info in your experiences with the rest of the gear. Meyer is pretty special, and don't they know it, hence the price tag.

The sound from behringer x32 can be cold or warm in the same time  (depends how do you make it to sound) , sorry for my bad english,i try to do  my best :D

The only, but big problem, is they have some quality issues (in time) with knobs, faders, etc. depends how you will use it.