rhythmboy

I quit smoking!

27 posts in this topic

Everything! 4 weeks now.

Aaaarrrregggghhhhh............

No more sucking fags every hour though

Soundpunk mobile helps keep my hands busy, patches keep the urge to murder stupid people at bay, online gaming distracts me and my wife and daughter motivate me.

Who else has done it? How did you cope? Tips?

Nice work mate ,  best thing you'll ever do ..

I quit years ago for medical reasons, but my girlfriend has been trying to kick the habit for years, unsuccessfully 

My Mrs did it RB. I've never been a 'smoker' just a 'toker'  :D

She'd tried a few times and found the patches were the most helpful. Also had motivation - we had a big trip to NY and then to London and home. No layovers and she was seriously ill at the thought of how she'd cope without a cancer stick. Tried the patches in the lead up as a way to stop the cravings during the flights and she just stuck with them.

Good luck! Don't forget karma is a bitch and  you may be cranky, but try try try to chill man.  B)

Yeah jester I try to stay calm it gets better every week...

Must say overall feel a lot better - no more sore

throats, lumpy cough, periodic nausea, not being able to breathe when you catch a cold, grey skin, yellow fingertips...

Fark why do we do this? Doesn't even get you wasted!

Btw all that's over too - goodbye rock n roll lifestyle, hello mid 40's! :D

Over? Nah, just more tightly moderated. You know - special occasions like Friday nights :P

^ not even... Completely sober for close to 6 months now. Not even a beer.

It's just not the same rb of legends past, of Sydney sojourns that left bards writing tales of the grand feats of late night bus rants and mistaken identity in kings cross clubs... (sigh)

So when am I gonna come up to Sydney again? ;)

That fucking bus trip. I'm not sure if i remember this correctly, was it you or me that told that stupid girl to shut the fuck up? I know whoever did it earned a special drop off from the bus driver right at the end of my street to shorten our walk by 15 minutes! And there was a round of applause from the other passengers?? Meh - SoundPunk GTG's are made of such legends it would seem.

I must be getting old or more organised - i've started to book hire cars or just get cabs now and fark the cost. That bus trip turned me.

But any time you're up here, let me know. Stupidity is my specialty.

The thread that tells all: http://www.soundpunk.com/topic/4372-sydney-punk-up-5122008/

Page 2 or 3 onwards I think. Yours truly going off on the bus, while you were trying to shut me up :D

Ah reading over that thread they were awesome times at chez jester!

Must find the thread where you and spectrum came to melbs and partied with me and Ehsan . Another classic evening...

Oh gawd. That was huge. I have vague memories of the flight home the flight attendant telling me to turn my music off, and the next thing me waking up as the plane hit the ground to music belting in my ears and a death stare from her. In another world still for the return home!

Week 7 almost down, on the 14mg patches now.

Jeez the patches give you some awesome vivid dreams at night... I even dream of smoking! But some real epic adventures.

Last night I dreamt that a mate was running a dance party on a metro train that went all over the city's network, starting after the last train at 1am. Apparently it cost the promoter $4.5 million to rent the entire network for a night. Bummer was I couldn't go to it coz it started after my bedtime :( now that's sad ;)

Not as bad as poor mrs RB who has been so sleep deprived for the last 5 months that she dreams she has got up to feed baby RB only to find she hasn't, except she's been woken from the dream to feed and then it's like 'didn't I just fee- oh shit now where am I...'

That's me most Saturday mornings :P

Deja vu always confuses me... have i seen the future before, or did i just expect this result or am i just so out of it i think i've already seen this? Gets more trippy when i start thinking in my head the next sentence before the person says it... or knowing what they're about to do in the next 30 seconds. Or maybe i'm just having flashbacks?

Hmmmm.... free acid.

Last day of patches today. Down to the 7mg ones and time to try stopping them

I think that makes it about 10 weeks clean now, have sort of lost count.

so far so good B)

Congrats. Keep up the effort.

Are you finding you're getting more flavour out of foods and drinks now?

^ yes, and consuming a lot more of them too. Developing a bit of a spare tire :P

first day no patch - wow you can feel it, there's cravings for sure. But the urge to light up feels more foreign. So I guess it makes the willpower easier.

Hehehehe. My Mrs found the same thing. All of a sudden food has a massive interest as she could taste things she never knew existed as a smoker since she was 14.

Keep strong, RB. It's worth it in the long run. Better for the health and the hip pocket. Think of all the things you and RB Jnr can do with that coin - at nearly $20 per packet it's fast becoming a rich mans game of russian roulette.

^ Thanks guys, still going strong and getting easier every day. No turning back now for sure.

Jeez now the smokers on the train station platforms really stink... although nice to not be pestered by derro's looking to bot a smoke off me  :D

The wife and I did some quick maths a while back on how much money we've collectively wasted on tobacco, alcohol and other ingestables over the last 25 years - something in the order of half a MILLION dollars... we could literally pay off the mortgage with what we've damaged our bodies and brains with  :blush:

Yeah, i think smokers are a touch crazy. I've yet to meet one that thinks they should pay the government any more income tax, GST etc. BUT, they don't realise that around 80% of the price of a pack of smokes goes straight to the government. It's the ultimate voluntary tax! I was astonished to find that out when i worked for a tobacco company in Aus. Even more astonished to think how much the government rakes in after learning what our PROFIT for one year was (nearly a billion dollars for one factory!). That's after the government takes 80% of the sale price… they can still make nearly a billion after operating costs, wages etc. etc. etc. in one factory.

Do the maths on that and you'll figure out why the government doesn't just ban smoking… just like they'll never ban pokies. They'd easily be pulling in $16 billion a year in tobacco tax. Smokers certainly do help to supplement the budget deficit!

I have passed one year of no ciggies woohoo!

I have also put on about 5 kilos haha!

You know you quit smoking when you go up 2 pants sizes. Tonight at my local shop (buying chocolate) the owner actually said 'since you quit smoking you've grown fat'. Nice one :)

Yeah - he makes more money selling you ciggies than chocolate... so obviously he's invested in complementing your improving health!

Hmm... you know you have to lose weight when baby daughter points at dad's chest and says "milk!"

:blush:

Recently celebrated the second anniversary being off the cancer sticks :)

All desire to smoke again completely gone... almost. I occasionally crave, but then I smell it on someone and nearly puke, enough to put me off again!

I'm still fat tho :(