dec0n

Ground Loop woes

4 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

long time absolutely no posting!
So, after a long time in storage I have finally pulled all my gear out and set it all up.

I started sampling and playing around and after a while noticed this terrible hum coming from my SP1200.
After some detective work I figured out it was the step-down transformer I was using for a few different pieces of equipment.
I tried a different transformer I had lying around and it improved the hum, but its still there and driving me crazy!

I looked into solutions, and one found was a power conditioner.
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience to lend here?
Will a power conditioner help when still using a setp-down transformer?

Any help, advice etc. is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!!

It's dec0n!!!

The hum's on the audio outputs yeah (and not physical humming from inside the box itself)?

Just snap of the earth..... NO WAIT, wrong answer!!!

Is everything running off a single power outlet in the room? Rather than off a couple of different outlets?

I have everything running off a single outlet (and a string of multi-outlet power boards) and I still have problems with shitty M-Box Mini and the laptop and the mixer if it's all powered up (getting buzzes and noise when I move the mouse on-screen) - yet perfectly ok if the laptop is running off the battery.

Spectrum!

Thanks for the reply, I missed it until now!

The hum is weird, at first I thought I could only hear it from the audio outputs - mainly from the SP1200, and monitoring into my main 12 channel mixer.
Then, after trying a different step-down transformer, afterwards I swear I could hear a hum coming from the actual transformer and one of my turntables...

Also, now my other sampler seems to have a louder hum coming from it's audio outputs.
Sigh, but like I said the second step-down transformer has made the hum a fair bit softer...

So I tried snapping off the earth and almost died, haha.

Everything is running of two outlets, one plate with two female outlets.
I have the step-down transformer running off one of the outlets - then plugged into a USA multi-outlet board, and all the 240 volt / Australian gear is plugged into the very next outlet.

I have a shitty M-Box Mini also! But I haven't set up my laptop + interface etc. yet, just outboard devices like the samplers etc.
The hum is really starting to send me insane, I have an OCD problem with stuff like this.

Ok, so last night my wife plugged in her hairdryer in the next room and I swear at the same time the step-down transformer started to hum, as in a loud audible hum coming from the box...
I think I might take my chances with a power conditioner and see what happens from there.