Acidburn6661

Question about audio recordin (commentaries)

2 posts in this topic

Hello! First post! (I hope it's in the right thread :\)

Me and my friend are starting commentaries but we ran into a problem. I'll start off by giving you some info:

we have an external mixer: Alesis MultiMix 4

we have two of the same condenser microphone: MXL 990 (for both me and my friend)

we have a pop filter, stand, etc.

The problem is that we want to hear both our selves and each of our own game play from our own computers.

We both are plugged into the same mixer (the MultiMix 4). The mixer is plugged into my computer via USB. Then we have the master output from the mixer (1/4th in. to 3.5mm adapter, then a 3.5mm spliter to both of our headphones). As you all know that will only give us the power to listen to what is going through the mixer i.e. both the microphones. I COULD have the mixer's master output as my default output from my computer but my friend would hear everything that I am doing...

I was thinking about it... I can have the output from the mixer split into two (just like before), then have it plugged into another spliter that will be hooked up to my computer's line out and headphones. I could do this with my friend's side as well. Giving us the power to listen to gameplay and ourselves. I made a diagram:

2je.png

My real question is, will I be able to take both sounds from the computer and mixer from spliters 2 & 3, and be able to hear both gameplay and voices?

Is there another, easier, way to do this? lol

Thanks for your time! :)

Awesome diagram (and username!).

Still trying to grasp exactly...

- what source(s) do you want to hear from your headphones?

- what source(s) does your friend what to hear from their headphones?

And finally, what do you want to be sent back into the computer to presumably be recording??? If at all?

One thing though, splitters used as mixers ain't an ideal situation. While not necessary gonna damage anything, it's got voltages going in wrong directions (and perhaps someone can better clarify what happens in a good/bad way when the output of one device is inadvertently being sent back up into the output of another device by the very splitter that's supposed to be simply mixing the two outputs together.