Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
_jimmy_

guitar mic'ing

2 posts in this topic

Hey guys, new to the forum and keen to stick around here!

My band and I are doing demos at the moment and I cannot get the right guitar sound. I've only got one mic right now - audio technica 4050 - placement wise, ive got it right up the grill cloth and bang in the middle of the rim and dust cone. When I play back a track, the guitar just sounds real thin and brittle.

Any tips or mics that you guys could suggest to record some decent tracks?

Considering the sm57 when I've got the cash.

Jim

the way you're miking now would be good for picking up bottom end. Try an ambient mic as well - place it about a metre back (depending on your speaker cone size and amplitude). Whilst monitoring both tracks, alternate muting each one to hear the difference in bandwidth that you're picking up. You should notice more top end in the ambient mic, and a fuller sense of spatiality (gives the recording that bit of room sound.) Together, you should be able to pick up a fuller sound. Separating them also makes it easier to place effects on the different bandwidths (ie compression, reverb, delay) and gives you more options with layering them creatively. Depending on the number of cones in the cab, you could try a stereo effect. In a two or more speaker cab, sometimes it's worth auditioning them all to pick the best speaker! SM57 is a good choice.