Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shadow6677

Ambient/Electronic Drums?

10 posts in this topic

I'm new to this kind of stuff but I would really like to learn how to make Ambient drums

Stuff like this

I'm not sure if that's just a bunch of percussive effects or if i have to add layers over the drums? Any help would be great! I'd even take a sample pack if there is one floating around.

Cool. Looks like my computer's posting again on the site!

Now given the musical layers, I find it a little hard to dissect. For starters, the drums sound heavily driven (ie. distorted kicks).

There's also a triplet delay on the snare/rimshot-like sound, but only on certain hits, around 1/3 way through the track. One could mute/un-mute the send to the delay as required.

The sounds are unique, and it helps to have an idea how patterns are formed, the relationship between kick and the snare. And listening to the high hats, theres a open-high-hat sound that's almost like a sweeping/brushing sound. And there are a couple of points were a more traditional snare roll/fill is layered over the rest.

Listening to the rest of the track, they've certainly had fun with 'reverse reverb' tricks on the vocals, amongst other things (ask if you're not sure what this means/how it's done).

Coming from a drumming background, it's not overly complicated, but I can appreciate getting it to sound spot on is gonna be a bit of a mission. What have you got so far? Are the patterns coming together and it's just the sounds themselves you're trying to nail now?

I Need help with mostly all of it. If you could teach me the patterns and everything that would be great because right now I'm just kinda winging it and its kinda working but I'd much rather have someone who's good at it tell me.

I don't need to have the exact sound of it but something close to it and the structure of the pattern would help immensely.

I just started doing this stuff a month ago and the thing I'm really lacking in is drum knowledge and effects knowledge.

Oh and idk if it matters but I'm using FL studio's 10.

Also if you know how to get drums to sound like they do in the beginning of this song that would help to.

They have that sort of glitchy sound and I'd love to be able to make that

Welcome to the world of home studio production, where one is expected to be the composer, arranger, performer, recording engineer, mixing engineer etc... ;)

The way I see it, there's 2 essential parts:

- pattern composition/sequencing

- sound design

And you're kinda gonna need the former to have a canvas the tweak for the latter.

How's your timing? How's your music theory?

From the second clip you posted...

Are you hearing 4 metronome counts per bar or measure?

Are you hearing the kick drum land on the 1st count of each bar or measure?

Are you hearing a reasonably consistent snare hit on beats 2 and 4?

Are you hearing a brighter, stronger snare hit on beat number 3?

With me so far? :)

Ok, now let's count the same bar length a little differently, by including the off beats using the sound "AND" between the beats, like this:

1....AND....2....AND....3....AND....4....AND....

(Count it out aloud to get a feel for it).

So to finish off this little drum pattern, we can add the syncopated kicks. These are the lighter, not-so-deep kick drums that fall each side of the brighter, stronger snare on count 3, and shown 'here':

1....AND....2....HERE....3....HERE....4....AND....

To be precise, if you listen closely, you'll hear the new kick actually falls straight after the Snare (ie. between counts 3 and 4), and this kick has been placed into the blank space right after the snare on count 3 (and before the 'AND'), so positioned more like this:

1....AND....2....HERE....3HERE........4....AND....

Still making sense here? I can appreciate it's a bit hard to translate some written blurb on a forum to what's coming out of the speakers. It'd be better if I could snap my fingers for you in time with the music, and signal when each hit is sounding. And there's also a couple of other 'ghost' (lighter) snare hits, with a bit of a 'chicka chicka' sound that lead into each snare hit. And the sounds themselves appear stretched, reverbed, overdriven etc, for effect, but let's just continue concentrating on the pattern itself.

The final part of composing it all together is how to place the hits in your sequencer. How are you doing drums now in FL Studio?

- Along the sequencer timeline grid? If so, changing the bar division into 16th notes should cover it.

- Using a 1 to 16 steps in a drum machine-style plug-in? If so, you need to consider the four counts to the bar described above falling on steps 1, 5, 9 and 13....

...ok I can see this is probably a bit confusing to the uninitiated. Let me know where you're at, and we can work from there.

Okay so first I'm using the sequencer timeline stuff and I've been doing band music for a while so i have a good sense of rhythm so now I'm just trying to learn deep down into it like what your trying to tell me.

So you said something about the offbeat. I hear that term alot but I'm not actually %100 sure what it is. I usually put my bass on the offbeat but I'm not actually sure what it means or where it is if that makes sense.

In the song it sounds as if there are 2 drum tracks one thats compressed and one thats brighter. I'm not sure if my ear just isn't trained to hear if but is that right? or is it just one track with the patterns you are talking about? (I'm a singer/guitar player so I'm still training my ear for the drum stuff)

My music theory is not fantastic but I'm not uneducated. Most of this makes sense its just I'm not sure how to apply it and how to do these patterns in a way that they fit together nicely.

So far though I'm learning alot even just from that :) So are the AND's right in between 1 and 2? Where exactly are all these placed is what I'm confused on as of right now.

Your being a fantastic help!

^^^ Mate, I've got a plan... just need a spare moment, I want to take the music track and do a spoken count across the top of it, then upload it for you. That way you'll hear the 1 to 4 count, and the 'in between' beats, and basically how it all sits. As for two drum tracks, well there's certainly 2 types of snares playing, so possibly. But give me a couple of weeks and I'll see what I can put together. Stay tuned.

keep practicing every day, in the begining try recreating stuff you've heard in your favorite tracks. experiment with reverbs, reverb send automation, weird delays... use a bitchrusher to dirty up the sound of your drums.