Josh@TBC

New guy checking in w/ questions on church recording

8 posts in this topic

Hello let me begin by introducing myself! I'm josh - I am the head sound tech for Timothy Baptist Church in Muskogee Oklahoma. Ive been doing sound for about 10 years now. Currently run a Midas Verona 480 analog board for the church. I dj on the side and am in the process of getting my own computer business off the ground currently. I am happily married and have a 10 month old son :) so that's a little about me - here's my question ...

We have in the past 6 months taken to iTunes and started podcasting our worship sets and the sermons. Currently we are using my MacBook pro & GarageBand - but we are only using iRig to take a line off one of the groups on the Midas Verona to make our own mix. What I am looking for is some type of USB interface that will give us greater control over our live recording mix. I've been looking at a PreSonus audiobox 1818 as well as a Zoom R24. I know GarageBand only supports 8 channels - but I am in the process of getting pro tools soon. I Have also considered the new line6 Stagescape M20d as well as the PreSonus Studiolive 16 or 24 but both of these will push my budget a bit further than I would like to although it would be a long term investment. So here in lies my issue. What route should we look at or is there something better I've completely missed?

Hey Josh,

We recently bought the Zoom 16 for recording our live gigs and making on the spot demos at rehearsals. Although I don't think that it's the best quality ever (preamp reasonable), it's an easy solution and really simple to use... so the other band members unfamiliar with the recording process are able to take the reigns if I need to step away from it for a bit. So yeah, in terms of "pro demo quality", we're pretty happy with it for the price. Although a lot of mixing consoles in the venues we play in don't have independent outputs for each channel, there's the option of using the desk's inserts, so was def worth going multi. However, I like the X/Y pattern on the H4n's ambient microphones better than on this one. :)

Welcome Josh, glad to have you onboard :)

I had no idea churches had their own sound engineering teams? Sounds like you guys have a descent rig!

Larger church's do - I am strictly volunteer as well as the rest of my team. It takes about 3 of us in the sound booth to make a Sunday run smoothly.

Thanks for the info on the R-series. I was speaking with our sweet water rep and he told me about it. Hadnt heard of them before last week.

No probs...the reason we got it was because it's compact, robust and portable (it's too much trouble dragging my laptop and interface around), and its user interface is quick and easy to read whilst your busy running your live desk. If you don't need it for location recording, you may as well look at solid state/tube preamps to get the most out of your (expensive sounding!) rig (if that is where your heart lies!) But for AUSD $500, it is a very good bundle. :)

Have you considered Motu or RME interfaces? The Motu 828MkIII provides you a lot of IO of good quality at a decent price. It also includes some software to start multi-channel recording and editing on the Mac (i think it's called AudioDesk). It'll get you started straight stright away with a good tool set and the ability to use every channel.

RME are the pick for sound quality but don't have the 'free' editing software like Motu to get you started.

How are you planning to route to the audio interface? Looking at the spec's for the Verona you're really down to using the sub groups or auxiliaries - it doesn't have an out per channel. Taking a feed from the insert may not give you very much control over the levels going into the interface. Some desks also don't allow you to take a feed from the inser without returning that feed back to the desk - it's literally a way of taping into the channel after the pre.

So, yeah, interested to know how you're using the groups and aux's on the desk to make more suggestions on how you might want to tie the interface in with the desk to get best flexibility on your recording. Generally the groups are the way to go - but it will depend if you're already using these for foldback or effects. I suspect you've probably got foldback and effects off the aux's...

Taking a feed from the insert may not give you very much control over the levels going into the interface. Some desks also don't allow you to take a feed from the inser without returning that feed back to the desk - it's literally a way of taping into the channel after the pre.

Yer. Live recording can be less than ideal. <_< In this scenario I've had to set up compression beforehand so we don't have to pay a second person to monitor the inputs. I don't worry about it too much until it's imported!

One of the things i love about my Soundtraks is the individual out on each channel post pre-amps but pre fader. Makes an ideal side of stage or foldback desk or, for the more pov like me, a great option to get an individual out for evey mic pre and hook it up to 32 channels of recording... making it pretty nice for live if i ever lugged it's heavy arse out of the studio. You can make your FOH mix (or foldback mix with effects) totally seperate to the individual channel outs which makes them ideal for recording (or feeding straight to the FOH desk only using the mic pre's and nort else). Quite well thought out as a live desk.