rhythmboy

Help me get to 2500 posts please

46 posts in this topic

Including this one, I think I'm sitting on 2392 posts. Only 108 to get to 2500 - so I'm asking for your help

- ask me any question

- ask me a joke - to which I can reply 'I don;t know, what did the polar bear say to the horse?'

- post a pic or a piece of trivia I'll comment on

- say something to wind me up

- point me to a thread that you think I should comment on

- do whatever gives me an excuse to post

My goal is to try getting to 2500 by the start of Feb at the latest, by the end of next week even better ;)

Also I've noted the whole site is only 110 posts away from cracking 31,000 in total.

C'mon people start spamming!

BLLLAAAAAHHHHHHH!!H!H!H!H!H!!!

How old were you when you first picked up a drum kit?

BLLLAAAAAHHHHHHH!!H!H!H!H!H!!!

How old were you when you first picked up a drum kit?

:D

A: pots and pans on the loungeroom floor at 4, played on my first real kit at high school aged 11, owned my first kit at 15, owned two kits by 17 (yes I did put them together double-kick style with 7 toms for awhile until dad got sick of driving all that gear around).

(# 2394)

^^^ Similar journey shared here, 'cept I never reached the two-kit-double-kick rig... :(

liberty-devitto2.jpg

I did love my 10" tom add-on across the top though, ala Billy Joel's extraordinarily hard-hitting drummer for decades, Liberty DeVitto.

Now RB, who were your Top 5 drumming influences during your teenage years... and why? :D

^ The 10" tom add-on says your 'pro' ;) that's what I felt when I got it :)

Top 5 influences and/or admired:

1) Jeff Porcaro (Toto, Steely Dan) - my hero for feel, sound, and understatement

2) Neil Peart (Rush) - flashy multi time sigs and huge kits, I used to practice to his albums on headphones for chops

3) Peter Criss (Kiss) - the ultimate rock star dream for a 10 year old, made me want to play drums for a career

4) JoJo Mayer (The Nerve) - a freak, a demon, a DnB maestro

5) Stewart Copeland (The Police) - killer sound, smacks the drums hard like a mofo, those octobans... and I've always admired the fact the gaffered up his hands to play live

(#2397)

... You know, I was thinking that a "Wily Nelson" was an instrument there for a second... Some sort of woodwind

4) JoJo Mayer (The Nerve) - a freak, a demon, a DnB maestro

yes! Not a drummer or a fan of DnB but what this guy does never fails to drop the jaw. Thank god for the funky drummer break!

What are your thoughts on Vinnie Colaiuta. Saw him when he came out with Herbie Hancock and on some various recordings, and i'm always impressed, seems to me like he's pretty versatile.

Hey RB, What are the five worst things you can hear while blowing Willy Nelson?

Hey Mitch! Hope all is well in your world :)

Umm... I dunno if I should touch this one (said the actress to the bishop) ;)

Hey RB - when is your band coming to Brisvegas?

Hey CT, as soon as we get the set finished and polished up we'll start discussing a national tour followed by world domination. I have a strong feeling electronic ballads are the big thing for 2012 :P

I was actually in Brissie last year for few days for a conference - saw the Dalai Llama, he waved at me from his car whilst running a gauntlet of traffic cops. Ironic one the world's great peacemakers needs a security retinue :unsure:

yes! Not a drummer or a fan of DnB but what this guy does never fails to drop the jaw. Thank god for the funky drummer break!

What are your thoughts on Vinnie Colaiuta. Saw him when he came out with Herbie Hancock and on some various recordings, and i'm always impressed, seems to me like he's pretty versatile.

Yeah Vinnie is another guy who makes my jaw drop - his technique and fluency is amazing. There's a recording of him playing with Robben Ford doing a cover of the blues classic 'Born Under a Bad Sign' where his playing isn't actually that complicated, straight up blues/rock, but he manages to play a different pattern in every bar and never repeats any bar twice - slight shift of the kick pattern, an extra snare hit there, and different hi hat accent there... yet sounds so smooth and solid. That's my kind of clever ;)

Must admit a lot of the fusion-heads like Dave Weckl, Omar Hakim and the like definitely impress me, but don't really influence me. These days I tend to prefer solid groove over fancy polytechnics.

When are you going back stateside?

Not for a long while I suspect, unless something at work sends me there :(

Going to Spain this year is probably my only o/s trip (oh poor me), putting our house on the market soon and about to enter the biggest debt of my life with the mortgage on our new place (when we find one) :unsure:

Hey CT, as soon as we get the set finished and polished up we'll start discussing a national tour followed by world domination. I have a strong feeling electronic ballads are the big thing for 2012 :P

I was actually in Brissie last year for few days for a conference - saw the Dalai Llama, he waved at me from his car whilst running a gauntlet of traffic cops. Ironic one the world's great peacemakers needs a security retinue :unsure:

Probably from the Chinese.

Oh God...you didn't make it. You must be crushed!

Hope March works out better for you. :lol:

Oh God...you didn't make it. You must be crushed!

Hope March works out better for you. :lol:

It's called being slack ;)

Actually just an extreme phase at work, non-stop all day, brain-dead at night...

Keep at it RB , not long now :)

Yeah I'll get there - need to do more useless and gratuitous posts like this one