triviul

80 free multitrack downloads for mixing practice!

5 posts in this topic

Someone mentioned here about getting 10000 hours practice, but as far as mixing is concerned the problem for a lot of noobs is that there's a shortage of freely downloadable multitrack projects on the net to use for mixing practice. Yes, I’ve seen the NineInchNails/Radiohead multitracks, the Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix files, the Real World downloads, and various other well-publicised sources of multitrack projects, but I’ve noticed that the files usually suffer from one of three problems:

- they’re actually processed/effected stems, which means you can't properly work from scratch.

- they’re low-quality or data-compressed audio, which doesn’t respond well to further processing.

- they’re actually ‘remix packs’, in other words chunks of the multitrack which can’t properly be reassembled into a time-line.

- you can't tell what the song sounds like before you download it.

So I've decided to do something about it, and over the past few months I've been building up an online library of more than 80 downloadable multitrack projects in a variety of different musical styles. These are provided as simple ZIP archives containing unprocessed WAV files at 24-bit/44.1kHz resolution, and there's an MP3 preview for each so that you can quickly browse through to find something that suits your tastes. And everything is free to download and use for mixing-practice purposes. Here's the link:

Library of Multitrack Downloads for Mixing Practice

I'm continuing to add further projects on a rolling basis, so contributions are always welcome -- if you're interested in donating something to the library, then just contact me via the site.

Hi triviul...

Are you the Mike Senior? I think we have your book at work... Welcome to SP anyway!

Thanks for the link mate, folks this is legit and some very good stuff there worth sinking your teeth into :)

Just remember it's educational/personal use, don't do anything commercial without the permission of the copyright owner ;)

Hi triviul...

Are you the Mike Senior? I think we have your book at work...

That's me. Or maybe I'm his evil robot twin! :) Hope you liked the book!

This sounds awesome. In my real life job, we have a saying...."Sh!t in equals sh!t out" and I think this can translate well to mixing. I am in over my head right now and I need some practice on some tracks that arent sh!t!

Are there any final pro mixes available to be able to compare the end result?

I've used some of the tracks in triviul's collection for mixing assignmemts at uni and can vouch for their usefulness. Very easy to use, and the raw state of the tracks makes them prime material for practising everything - mix balancing, eqing compression and playing with fx. Good stuff!