Synapse

First Production Software?

7 posts in this topic

Whats the first thing I should download to help me start making beats? I know I'll have to spread into hardware eventually, but as a starting point i'd just like to dabble in software. If anyone can recommend one free and one paid program it'd be great. Maybe even some tutorials on the basics of music making/music theory.

Always a tough one to get started, with so many DAW (digital audio workstation - ie. the software sequencing environment at the core of the studio) options, and at the end of the day, none of them is the wrong one.

Freebie-wise, there's really only Reaper (which technically deserves a donation if one's serious about using ).

Otherwise, Ableton Live has surely gotta be Number 1 these days, but certainly not for everyone. Reason is kinda cool for the real studio layout vibe, but is kinda restricted to its own sounds (but will ReWire into other DAWs). What else? FL Studio, Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools. But with the latter, it really is about picking one and stickin' with it.

Plug-in-wise for your synths, samplers and effects, (other than Reason, which uses its internal synths only), a good share of the third-party plug-ins will work across the majority of plug-in platforms (VST, AU, RTAS), but VST probably reigns supreme for sheer quantity of support.

Perhaps have a think about how you want to compile your 'beats', and drop things in and out, and layer stuff together. Ableton is probably the most unique in the way it'll allow one to jam out ideas with sampled loops, with the other DAWs being more traditional 'work your arrangement along a timeline' kinda of methodology.

Hope that helps, yeah?

One vote for Ableton here. I started using Cubase and the learning curve was steep, I eventually got quite good with it but it took some time. I had heard about ableton, but back then it was not considered a serious production tool so I didnt look into too much. Eventually I saw people using Ableton in some unique ways and decided to check it out, I never looked back, it was easy to use and learn, and opened other doors to things like live performance.

Reason is another good place to start, but Its a bit closed in, you kind of have to stick with reason and reasons why of doing things, which I didnt like much.

Theres a couple of free DAWs out there you can download to get started, iv never used them though. Try Ableton lite, which is a free version of Ableton

I'm a scumbag who likes pirated software. My opinion and music is worthless and hence i just assumed that the hard work of other people is also worthless and steal it.

anyways, i have used logic for years now and i swear by it. it's simple, yet innovative. i immediately caught on just by playing around on it for ten minutes. the specifics will come just as easy. if you have any questions about the software, i'm your guy. i teach it in some of my classes. shoot me an email at [email protected] if you need anything. hope this helps. You can also email me if you work for Apple or the developers of logic to send me a bill for the many years of illegal use of your software i've had.

you mean pirated software ? that's really sucks dude ... for better and the rest of your life i'd recommend you to buy Cubase the 500 bucks really worth it !! even if you don't make your own style just you need fuck around with it and you'll get it and make your music ...!!

There's a report button for scumbags like DakotaBowman. Please use it and welcoem aboard. I've edited the original post to better reflect what i think DakotaBowman was really trying to say and removed the quote from your post to ensure no links are left.