Rudie

Extract vocals out of a song

7 posts in this topic

IS there a way to do that...i have lost my recording sessions and tracks..and now i have only the export i made to mp3...i was wondering if there is a way just to save the vocals from the stereo signal..thank you

Generally not unfortunately :D

It can be done if you have an instrumental version of the same song with the same mix and arrangement. You lay both the vocal and the instrumental versions alongside each other in the DAW and then invert/reverse the phase of the instrumental version so it is in opposite phase to the vocal. When you mix the two versions together the inverted version cancels out everything that's identical in the 'normal' version so you are left with the only thing that is different - being the vocal. Even so there's no guarantees the results are perfect.

There is also a plug-in I've seen called knockout, haven't tried it myself but the demo vid I saw gave less than perfect results.

Sorry mate...

a salesmen was showing me a handheld recorder once, which was a fine recorder but when he told me it had the added function of taking lyrics out of songs you transferred into I smiled. I wasn't going to fall for that haha

I would have just let it ride but he went on and on about it until I couldn't stand it anymore. I told him that it was a good recorder but I don't believe it can take lyrics out of recordings, so he showed me! I was so shocked haha

Basically I think it was just inverting the left to the right but what after a while I realised he'd managed to find a song that only had the vocals centre and drums far left and guitar far right. So it worked 'ok'. It wouldn't work this well on all songs.

^ yep generally removing vocals is pretty simple, as long as it's panned in the middle and doesn't have too much stereo reverb on it. Simple phase invert of one channels and sum to mono and it's done.

But to keep only vocals and remove the rest, that's an entirely different story :D

But to keep only vocals and remove the rest, that's an entirely different story :D

oh right, sorry

good luck

try celemony products and roland r mix.. you can even isolate/extract any instruments in a track by using this ultimate software....