Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ramjet

Ear Plug Brands and Quality

25 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

I was recently at the St. Jerome's Laneway Festival, which was great and my mates and i had an awesome time, but when i got home i noticed my left ear was ringing a fair bit. I went to bed a few hours later and it was still ringing. This morning the ringing has gone, but i feel as if sounds coming from the left are slightly dulled. Im making an appointment with a doctor to have a hearing check etc soon, but i've decided its definitely time i picked myself up a few pairs of Ear Plugs.

So what can you guys tell me about them? What brands are good? What price-range should i be expecting? What kind of noise reduction in terms of dB should i be looking at? Basically any help is great since i know very little about them. Thanks!

Oh these look great! What are they like at open gigs? (i.e. Falls, Pyramid, etc.)

good - I use them when going to anything with heartical sound system

feel the bass but protect your ears

The problem I have with ear plugs is that I have very sensitive inner ear and after a few minutes my ear canal gets very hot, then starts itching like crazy. I can't even use bud ear phones on my i,pod.

Same hear, I simply cannot have anything inside my ear...period, even water, especially water. The day after I snorkel/ Dive I will be climbing the walls.

I once bought a pair of those soft wax ear plugs and what a nightmare. The club was so hot that the wax started melting then pouring down my ear canal. It was also running down the side of my face. Embarrassing.

Those cheap yellow ones came in very handy when I was in the jungle last moth. We had a very horny Cicada somewhere in a tree outside our bungalow that was chirping all night, little sh#t. They came in very handy.

I purchased a box of 200 "cheap" foam ear plugs from amazon. They came to $20 they came individually bagged and work wonders. They are so soft and conforming. They keep out all extraneous noises and you can re-use them.

I recently purchased a box of foam ear plugs that came with a plastic cord so as not to lose them. Yesterday my cat Cornelius found said ear plug and ate it, including the cord. Long story short, today his cat litter tray was a sight to be seen. Turds held together with cobalt blue cord with fluorescent ear plugs intact in them. Filthy little shite.

He keeps picking them up and eating them, even if I hide them. He's gone through about a dozen pairs so far, and that includes the cords as well.

I tried using those more expensive ones and after a couple of nights they hurt the area near the ear hole. Think I'll stick to the cheap ass ones.

I know this is an older post but maybe I can help anyone in the future. Hands down, the best earllugs I have owned are from Westone. You go into an audiologist and they will take an ear mold of your inner ear and Westone creates a silocone earplug that fits perfectly into your skull holes. There is a hole through the middle of the plug that fits different db filters. The filters are super high quality so that it doesnt impact any tonal range so it is litterally like turning the volume down at a concert. I actually NEVER go to a live show without them and I actually prefer to wear them because it takes out the white noise from the very loud shows.

The other bonus is that because they are made from your ear mold, you can wear them for hours wihout getting that earplug pain because they fit perfectly in your ear without putting pressure on your ear canals.

These are expensive ( maybe $80-100) but they are worth it if you need them often.

^ good tip SK

Now my weekends are often taken up mowing my half-acre (at least ) of lawn at home and a recent acquisition of a circular saw, the main ear protection I'm going for these days are more like this:

ear-muffs.jpg

Bugger frequency response, just kill the noise ;)