Cheyne

Cheyne Wallace - Creepy

13 posts in this topic

This is my first rough cut of a track iv been working on for a few days now .. By rough cut, i mean the master isnt great. I can hear small areas of clipping and there's a few strange things going on with the lead synth when I bounce to audio that im having troubles solving.

Take a listen to it anyway and let me know what you think, please tell me any parts that dont sound right to you, mastering or track in general .. I want the feedback so I can fix it up before I close the book on this one :)

Cheers

Updated - Version (12/2/11)

Better mix, few additions, few removals.

it could do with a bit more mental as it progresses

i think your going about every 8 on the lead synth

also the drums seem a little laid back to me

yea, think ill add a bit more in.

I just realized last night the sidechain wasnt working either, so that's not helping the drums..

happy to listen if you make any changes

a lot of the breaks tunes and drum funk stuff i hear seems to go all over the place with the synths and effects and glitch out a lot

this to me seemed a bit more structured

Ill be making some changes soon .. just need a free night to work on it again :)

Ill post back here when iv got something ..

Ok iv updated the tune a little ... Iv updated the first post with a soundcloud player ...

I removed a few things, added a few minor things , better mix .. Should be a bit more punchier now...

let me know what you think ..

sounds great those drums are punchy as fuck

i still think the synth automation is a bit too structured though

Yea, I agree about the synth .. trying to find a way to inject some more life into it ...

unstructure the automation - have a number of different tracks of same synth with different settings/waveforms and use an autopan with random waveform but no panning so its doing random volume control on each channel - resample and bunch of those and grab any good bits, or do the same thing by hand

one thing i've done in ableton is to map the waveform type of operator synths to controls and randomly change waveforms and record that out

then find the good stuff and chop chop

Hmm .. thanks for the tips ... Im using Imposcar for the lead line, but for some reason when ever I have more than 1 instance of it on a project, it screws up and none of them work .

Might have to bounce to audio

Listening again now to catch the new version, loved the old mix, let's see how this one rocks it out...

Very atmospheric, Cheyne. Almost Dr Who like in the middle. And love those synth 'whip cracks'!

Re the repetitive synth line... wondering how it might sound to send the riff out to another instrument, something wider, reasonably raw and bright, but more sustained, and introduce it into the arrangement, say 2/3 in, perhaps during the 2nd break, to really stack on the wall of sound and form a thick layered chorus-like finale. This might also add to the progression feel of the track so as to not return to same sounding 'Beats and Synth' riff from earlier on in the piece. I feel it's also begging for an all out mental assault coming out of that last break, maybe with some pitching-up modulation effects and more chaos in the percussion department.

Of course, 10 to 15 years ago, we'd just slap a 1/16th note snare pattern and jump it to 1/32nd note hits for the peak and be done with it, but one can't be so complacent these days. :)

Top stuff, Cheyne. cool.png

Haha, thanks Spec. Yea, now I just need some seat time to work on it again. It was rare to get a spare week free, so thats where this tune came from.

Ok, so bottom line from the feedback im getting is that the lead line needs more expression. Ill work on it :)