Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dylab

practical applications of music theory

8 posts in this topic

so in my quest to move beyond the world of monkey typewrite approach of music composition to something a bit more informed i am slowly reading through a number of music theory websites and books.

the first issue i have is with a lot of the language but that i can get past by reading lower level stuff then revisiting more complex language books etc

another issue is the application of the theory for composition

as lot of these are aimed at people playing instruments not at people who write music

are their any good books / articles aimed at music theory to assist composition

it will give me something to split my time between ear training, theory reading, music making

or if anyone feel like chipping in about application of theory feel free

Hey Mr D!

Yeah, I can appreciate the headspin. I've been quite removed from music writing the past few years and I can feel the rust.

A couple of books that grabbed me in the bookshop recently were from the is-there-anthing-they-haven't-covered-in-their-Complete-Idiot's-Guide-To...

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/0028643771

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Composition

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/1592574033

I dare say that these aren't the be-all-end-all, just the content felt right, as was the easy-to-grasp way of the concepts are laid out.

Might be worth a squizz?

For me, knowing a lot of theory has been a double edged sword. I like the fact that i know exactly whats going on all the time, but i've also found that i'm falling into patterns like 'this chord always works with this scale' or 'you know that note won't work so don't even try it' instead of writing what just sounds good or what i feel. Overall theory knowledge is a big plus but just try not to slip in to patterns like i did :huh:

cheers will have a look at those

I'm beginning to keep stuff in key

chords aren't so much of an issue atm as I only use mono synths but it all helps toward understanding the bigger picture

For me, knowing a lot of theory has been a double edged sword. I like the fact that i know exactly whats going on all the time, but i've also found that i'm falling into patterns like 'this chord always works with this scale' or 'you know that note won't work so don't even try it' instead of writing what just sounds good or what i feel. Overall theory knowledge is a big plus but just try not to slip in to patterns like i did :)

I found this interesting

http://jerrygates.berkleemusicblogs.com/2010/03/02/composition-from-a-different-angle/

Oh yea i remember learning about the 12 tone system in high school. I've never tried applying it though, i should give it a whirl.

Im a big fan of Rick Snomans - The Dance Music Manual

i've grabbed a copy of this - and am slowly working my way through chapter two