Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rhythmboy

One to play on subs ;)

7 posts in this topic

This is installment 3 in my Josquin Des Pre Series.

Basically the pads are an arrangement of 'O Domine Jesu Christe' by Josquin. I then added auto-tuney improv vocals by DJAreith from Canada, whose acapellas I found at looperman.com

Lucky for me the vocals were in the same tempo and key so all I had to do was select the right sections and drop them in. Even more spooky was how neatly the the vocal phrases fit over the other melodies so well. The pads aren't chords, they're four-part counterpoint.

This is about as ambient and minimal as I've ever been drums-wise. The bass drums sound pretty cool through subs if you got em :huh:

Ehsan said it reminded him of Lord of the Rings :angry:

Whoa, very ambient mate .. Sounds very crisp though , like it should be used in a movie soundtrack or something. What are those steel chime sounds at the end ? are they real or sampled from somewhere?

All in all, great sound, love the experimental element to it, feels like I should be getting naked and lighting incense to it , its like a masterclass in pads

enjoying this and the bass is heavy but really clean - maybe a james blake style remix for the kids

^^ Thanks very much lads :angry:

Yeah it's really sparse, I tried a few drum loops and step-sequencing the pads to give them rhythm like I have with the others but it just killed the vibe completely, just made it sound naff. Very much 'less is more' being true this time.

Also have decided to make this 'project' with the Josquin pieces more of an Art music thing than EDM. I think they'll work better and probably find an audience promoting it as such.

Lastly the piece is not in 4/4. It's in 2/2 with some of the phrases starting on beat 2 (according to my interpretation). Every 4/4 loop ends up sucking balls at some stage - it's like Josquin was deliberately playing with our minds :huh:

But it's also in a straight 120bpm with no tempo changes so feel free to download and add some loops - I dare you :angry:

^^ Thanks very much lads :angry:

Yeah it's really sparse, I tried a few drum loops and pattern-sequencing the pads to give them rhythm like I have with the others but it just killed the vibe completely, just made it sound naff. Very much 'less is more' being true this time.

Also have decided to make this 'project' with the Josquin pieces more of an Art music thing than EDM. I think they'll work better and probably find an audience promoting it as such.

Lastly the piece is not in 4/4. It's in 2/2 with some of the phrases starting on beat 2 (according to my interpretation). Every 4/4 loop ends up sucking balls at some stage - it's like Josquin was deliberately playing with our minds :huh:

But it's also in a straight 120bpm with no tempo changes so feel free to download and add some loops - I dare you :angry: