Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cheyne

SoundPunk v3 Update

9 posts in this topic

Some more updates guys

Im almost ready to roll with the new site, and as mentioned previously it’ll happen in phases,  first with the forum being converted over, then with blogging, then articles, then file management etc however, theres been a few issues pop up and iv had to fork out some cash to resolve our problems, heres a quick summary.

Our current host, although fast and although offers adequate hosting is quite unhelpful when it comes to requests.  Our new software we’re migrating too, is quite a fair bit more advanced (and complex) than currently,  don’t worry from and end users perspective its actually easier to use and more intuitive, although on the backend there’s much more going on.

This added complexity means more processing power is required, and more flexible configuration options are needed, options such as database timeouts and PHP memory allocations,  options that our current host is unwilling to assist with.

This was to be expected anyway,  but our current configurations are actually quite tight,  and any loosening on these configs was flatly denied.

So this has pushed me into searching for a new host, how ever for the configurations we require, the costs involved are quite steep, infact a majority of the quotes iv received are literally 6 or 7 times what im paying now, which for a site that basically draw zero income is a bit hard to swallow.

I was recommended a site to put forward my requirements,  to which various hosts have replied with their offers and packages,  I was overwhelmed with the responses I got,  but the end product is that a relatively new but very polished host has offered an attractive package that would meet our needs, and has specified that they will happily configure our hosting to meet our needs.

This host is also quite expensive, how ever they have offer a one time 50% discount off the first invoice,  and I plan to pay for 3 years of hosting to get the most out of the deal.  This still works out to be over twice as much as we pay now, but I feel the service on offer is much better.

So … What does this mean for SoundPunk?

• Faster Site

• More reliable,  no random outages

• Bulk email capabilities,  I can actually send out newsletters and site updates from time to time.

• A serious business grade web site

• A positive step toward our future as a high ranking audio site

• Better overall experience

Any downsides ?

Unfortunately, yes just 1.   File hosting will be scaled back,  we will no longer have unlimited storage to play with,  file hosting will most likely be restricted to regular members,  and archived files will need to be cut down.

Im talking about large MP3’s really here,  documents and patches etc are fine,  but for large MP3 DJ sets,  this will be restricted to our more established members.    I have the shitty task now if moving 15GB of data from one host to another.

With the availability of hosting sites like SoundCloud , I don’t think this should be an issue,  SoundPunk is moving more down the educational path than the online media path anyway.

Ill keep you guys updated as best I can,  how ever sometime soon the site will go offline while we relocate the entire directory structure to the new host, which could take over 24 hours,   the good people at our new host have offered to handle this for me , and ill oversee the transfer and manage the DNS changes.  

Already im see’ing a big improvement in customer service from our old host.

Ill keep you guys posted

Cheers

Cheyne

And its done :)

It should look no different to you guys,  but your now using SoundPunk from the new server on the new host.  We're free from Web City finally.

Our full 14 GB was migrated across last night , and around about 2am, the DNS changes kicked in.

:)

The site wont work on your phone ?    what does it do ?

p.s .. The new site, will have a dedicated mobile site..  It will detect your iphone or mobile and display the mobile site.

also ..  for those of you with iphones,  so software that we're moving too has an IPhone app, that gives you push notifications when someone quotes you, PM's you or posts in a thread your subscribed to.

its a free app , ill give more details when we cut over.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0