Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryanedward85

Studying and Working in Audio (was "I need your help please")

164 posts in this topic

At the end of the day, you may very well hate retail shop work, but at least it does pay the rent, feed you and your loved ones and pays for luxuries such as vacations. Studio work may be lovely but it doesn't always pay, you can not simply live on dreams and fresh air. As that singer said so eloquently in the mid 80's "Ain't nothin goin on but the rent"

It's also why so many musicians and engineers become teachers :mellow: It's a way to get paid for talking about what you know.

My only gripe is that teaching is not about telling everyone what you know. It's about enabling novices to learn. Huge difference that unfortunately a lot of 'industry'-trained or self-taught people fail to grasp.

We should change the thread title to something like "studying and working in audio", there's a lot of insight in here people may be missing thinking this is about a crashed Ableton crack ;)

"I need your help please, my Ableton has stopped working. An error saying 'we have detected that this is not a registered version' has suddenly appeared..." :P

Have you ever considered mentoring, I think you'd be great at it.

Actually my day job is lecturing and coordinating an undergaduate music program at one of Melbourne's Universities, so you're on the money ;)

How long have you being doing that for, may I ask RB?

Too long :mellow:

Started as a casual/sessional in about 1999/2000, and full-time since 2006. I'm a relatively old-hack 40-something, so it's a good career for the long-term, and I actually genuinely love it.

Too long :lol:

Started as a casual/sessional in about 1999/2000, and full-time since 2006. I'm a relatively old-hack 40-something, so it's a good career for the long-term, and I actually genuinely love it.

It's good to see someone who still very much enjoys his work.

I'm hoping to work in London soon as I have a keen interest in dance music and I don't think I could show the same enthusiasm for country and western. I understand you cannot be picky and choosy about what music you work on, but I really hate that genre. Always reminds me of hillbillies and rednecks.

It's basically work where you can until you acquire enough knowledge and experience to maybe find somewhere more to your liking, maybe.

I'm hoping to work in London soon as I have a keen interest in dance music and I don't think I could show the same enthusiasm for country and western. I understand you cannot be picky and choosy about what music you work on, but I really hate that genre. Always reminds me of hillbillies and rednecks.

:( @ country and western... on behalf of all Australians I apologize for subjecting you guys to Keith Urban :lol:

Then again you gave us Billy Ray Cyrus :P

Must admit tho, Johnny Cash's 'American Recordings' with Rick Rubin producing is one of the most compelling, beautiful country albums I have ever heard. But there'll never be another Johnny RIP.

:( @ country and western... on behalf of all Australians I apologize for subjecting you guys to Keith Urban :lol:

Then again you gave us Billy Ray Cyrus :P

Must admit tho, Johnny Cash's 'American Recordings' with Rick Rubin producing is one of the most compelling, beautiful country albums I have ever heard. But there'll never be another Johnny RIP.

Never a fan of country and western, but have to admit Mr Cash's voice was so cool, very distinctive.

I also despise Jazz, you know that stuff where the guy or girl drones on and one, sort of making it up as they go along. As annoying as mime artists.

I also despise Jazz, you know that stuff where the guy or girl drones on and one, sort of making it up as they go along. As annoying as mime artists.

ooooh, them's fuedin' words...

Like those stereotypical jazz singers who wear roll neck sweaters, drain pipe trousers, wear a beret to one side click their fingers and say "yeah" I hate those tits.

RB how was Christmas in OZ, did you do the "Shrimps on the barbie?" I know it's so clichéd how us yanks view Australians. Anyway I hope you had a great one.

Had a killer Christmas with friends and family and my baby bought me this absolutely amazing Fuji Camera. Hope everyone else had a good time.

Seeing as how much I hate the genre, I honestly didn't realize just how much these Country and Western artist make. It's [email protected] I honestly didn't realize there were so many hillbillies and rednecks in the US. I wanna move :)