Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rhythmboy

So I went to America and all I got was this...

23 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

for those not in the know part of the reason I've been offline for awhile is I've been to the USA for a couple of weeks  :D

In the oft-loved style of early SP posts, here's a little photo essay of my travels...

So I went to the beautiful city of Boston

boston.jpg

To attend a little place called

harvard.jpg

Where I presented a paper at a conference at Radcliffe College

Pforzheimerhouse.jpeg

My paper was on (basically) the Vibratone

vibratone.jpg

And how we describe what it sounds like

vibratonesonogram.jpg

Which was well received by musicians and physicists alike  :)

I also took a day trip to

mittshirt.jpg

Where I visited the world-renowned Media Lab

medialab.jpg

It was fun  :)

I also went here for a couple of days:

new-york-city.jpg

And went to the 102nd floor of this:

empire.jpg

And stayed in the same hotel as this guy:

henry.jpg

That was fun too  :)

But best of all was this little treasure in a Boston comic book store:

morecowbell.jpg

:clap:

I can't believe the hotel was still there after Rollins paid it a visit. Must have been one of his senior moments.

RB on tour - now with more cowbell.

Cheers guys  :)

Yeah now also recovered from the jetlag and killer cold  :dead: and back in the land of the living... (and work  :) )

J-Fu not only Rollins but Slash and Jet stayed there apparently according to the autograph wall (whole lotta seppo bands I never heard of too).

Must admit I never thought I'd say I love the US, but the bits I saw this time makes me wanna go back for much more - esp NYC - man whatta town, I can see why people rave about it.

Harvard is amazing too - literally the size of a small town with it's own town catering for it. Actually a conglomerate of about a dozen universities in one area. But MIT media lab totally blew me away - some seriously nerdy shit going on there with robots and tactile technologies and stuff.

Must admit I never thought I'd say I love the US, but the bits I saw this time makes me wanna go back for much more - esp NYC - man whatta town, I can see why people rave about it.

I had the same prob with NYC. The mutha fucka just sucks you in. I'd been to the west coast (San Fran and LA) before and was absolutely dreading having to go back to the states but was ordered by a previous employer that i had to go to NYC and i had to stay a minimum of 4 days to do 1 day of meetings. On day 5 i was still trying to figure out how to move flights to London and nearly missed our flight because of it. I still had to leave but not because i wanted to.

Highly recommend if you can get there for any amount of time - go, and try to double or triple the stay.

Oh forgot to mention I went and saw these guys in Boston...

BLUE MAN GROUP! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDBL8nBRwVA

This segment is actually the same as the start of their show, which runs 3 times a day 6 days a week in a 500-seat theatre in Boston  ???

And at the start of the show my name came up on a big LED screen and I was told to stand up and wave to the crowd. Guess they saw the Aussie visa card booking :) Got front row seats, which was awesome, and they provided ponchos and towels - when you see the clip at ~3'00" you'll see why :)

:ph34r: the little treasure should have said "More Rob Bell" :) kidding

creative recount of your trip by the way. :unsure: hope you're feeling better from what I last heard and that all is well.

take care!

Ha! I just tuned into this thread. Classic stuff RB, love the photo essay. Much lolz ensued and I've slapped on my MIT t-shirt in a sympathetic congruence of awesome.

^^ @ ryan yeah jetlag sucks, I find it worse when I'm returning home mainly. Arriving somewhere new is exciting enough for the adrenalin to keep me going :P

RB how often do you do these Stateside visits?

Not often enough, so far only LA/west coast in 1996, Hawaii in 2001 and Boston and NY this year. But based on our last trip, me and my better half want to go back sooner than later.

LA was for the NAMM trade show, we were in Anaheim which is not really LA ;) Got shown some local hospitality by a local distributor, BBQ in the hills of Sylmar, had a great blues jam with one of the guys from Tower of Power... awesome night ;)

Hawaii was beautiful, we stayed with local friends on Maui, far away from the tourists. The resorts are tacky but the natural beauty is spectacular. One night I walked into a house full of hippies, introduced myself and ended up jamming on the bongos with the freaks all night :mellow:

So at least I can say truthfully that I've played drums in America - altho to say they were gigs would be stretching it ;)

Glad you enjoyed your visits stateside. My friend once did a DJ'ing gig with a guy named Pascal. He was a killer Bongo's player. On the flight home he complained of a headache, so slept through most of the flight. They went home and the next day my friend got a phone call informing him that he had passed away in his sleep. The guy was so talented.

I'd love to visit Hawaii, but like you stated, many of the resorts there are just so tacky and OTT. I have never been much of a fan of beach side resort complexes. I prefer some where a little more secluded. Would love to visit Maui though, I believe some parts are just so gorgeous.

I'd love to visit Hawaii, but like you stated, many of the resorts there are just so tacky and OTT. I have never been much of a fan of beach side resort complexes. I prefer some where a little more secluded. Would love to visit Maui though, I believe some parts are just so gorgeous.

One of the amazing things about Maui is the 'micro-climates' of the island. Because the trade winds blow the same way in the same direction all year round, and the two peaks of the mountains on the island are so high, you get so many different landscapes in one small space. One side of the island can be tropical rainforest, while the other is volcanic desert. Low-lying areas are temperate pasture for livestock, while further up the mountains you get pine forests. The sand on the beaches ranges from golden yellow to bright red to pitch black. And you can see this all in a day as you drive the circuit of the island. Incredible...

And the sunsets - they blow your mind... great stuff just sitting with a beer in hand, watching the sun go down...

2950591793_113ebe4f91.jpg

I visited Tenerife when I was young and remember the black volcanic sand. Very soft but feels weird seeing a beach with jet black sand. That sunset looks amazing. Your pic?

One of the amazing things about Maui is the 'micro-climates' of the island. Because the trade winds blow the same way in the same direction all year round, and the two peaks of the mountains on the island are so high, you get so many different landscapes in one small space. One side of the island can be tropical rainforest, while the other is volcanic desert. Low-lying areas are temperate pasture for livestock, while further up the mountains you get pine forests. The sand on the beaches ranges from golden yellow to bright red to pitch black. And you can see this all in a day as you drive the circuit of the island. Incredible...

And the sunsets - they blow your mind... great stuff just sitting with a beer in hand, watching the sun go down...

2950591793_113ebe4f91.jpg

If I showed my GF that sunset, she would be all gooey eyed for weeks. Walks on the beach, all day long. She's such a romantic. Love her.