Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JamesMac

James Mac - BiAmplified (Original Mix)

6 posts in this topic

Hey James,

Went to check this out tonight, and discovered the broken link. Did you check it worked after originally posting it? I can see a 'space' in the filename and this would normally kill the link. Anyway, since moving to SoundPunk v3.0 (which deactivated much of the links to the old file server) I suggest establishing a http://soundcloud.com/ account and linking all your music from there.

Look forward to hearing it!

actually, linking to MP3 files is perfectly fine, just wrap them in [media] tags, the MP3 tag is no longer used, iv fixed this one up for you

Ah cool, thanks for the fix, Cheyne!

Now James, for the review...

Trance? Hehe... funny that trance is still a dirty word these days, despite it well moved on from the era of Gatecrasher fluff.

Love the focused direction, aided by the single note bassline throughout. Sweet tinkly melody-esque breakdown midway through. Searing, pulsating, sweeping washes, albeit a touch clichés, bind it all together nicely.

Percussion delays across the stereo field work well, though experiment nudging them towards the left so they rush the beat just a touch, less quantised, and to tweak the groove to taste.

How do you find the kicks? What were you trying to achieve? If anything, due to their sustain/decay, they lose some definition when the droning bassline comes in and steals their thunder. But what can be done? Not much given they share the same space. Perhaps sidechaining a fast compressor over the bassline, triggered by the kicks, so the kick's sharper attack pushes the bassline back for an instant.

Arrangement-wise, there were some moments through the intro / outro when my natural 16th / 32nd / 64th bar metronome felt stuck in a loop craving for some extra fairy dust interest. Plus the repeating percussion line later in the piece appeared to at the mercy of the copy/paste/paste... so perhaps some subtle band-pass filter sweeping could spice it up a little?

Speaking of the band-pass, I had a thought to give it a real workout, together with some ever increasing distortion, on that break down melody line to really make it scream.

Finally, have a listen to your levels as the track progresses throughout each of the changes. For example, the bongo/congas prior to the breakdown become as loud as the rest of the sounds before it, while the intensity of volume in the swirls out of the breakdown becomes so great that it leaves no more height for the kicks slam back in.

Don't let my waffle sound like an ear bashing, it's a great track, just sharing some things that stuck out for me that may - or may not - be along the direction you were intending.

Cheers for sharing. :P

just hearing this track now , digging it :P would of loved this back in my trance days ..