Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cheyne

Expansion Of SoundPunk - Your Opinions

21 posts in this topic

Guys,

Iv been toying with some ideas for a bit,  regarding expansion of the site, although I think it requires some input from you guys.

Iv often thought that there is a lack of ability for us to create good articles,  guides,  file hosting etc as we’re bound by the constraints of the forum, any articles we post quickly get bumped back pages behind and eventually lost unless someone brings it up again.

Same with sets, and users tracks.  The community works well , but we’ve built up a fair bit of content now yet we don’t use it well. 

I see it more than anyone else because Im often diving through the file system and sorting through large libraries of files and sounds, yet most of them I have no idea what they are, usually just embeddeded in some long forgotten post.

What im getting at, is the idea of expanding SoundPunk to become more of a functional, full scale web site with a community , with different areas outside of the forum,  ie have an articles section we’re people can contribute real pieces of editorial work that’s not just seen as a forum post  ,  actually archive and categorize users submitted tunes and tracks , and keep a library of them ,  allowing any budding DJ’s and users to browse the library for rare tunes created by our users …

These of course will all be still embedded and commented on using the forum , nothing will change there …

I know guys like RhythmBoy and Spectrum already do a great job of keeping indexes of where posts are so they don’t get lost , but it’s a manual job and its gotta be a pain in the ass.

Sites like the upcoming remix competition are also slightly more difficult when constrained to a forum,  where as id like to be able to pop these things up in their own area.

I hate to use them as an example,  but sites like inthemix are basically what im talking about ,  with content sections and all the various areas outside of the forum ,  yet with a community section that undoubtedly the busiest part of the site.

Without a doubt it would be a shitload of work , and I kind of dread the day I would need to start developing that , but there’s certainly a lot of potential with a more full featured site. 

Im not making any decisions yet , but im putting out to you guys to have your say …  What do you think about the idea of expanding soundpunk ?  Dont like the idea?  Think it could be good?  Say it here...

If you have the time, Cheyne, that would be friggin' grouse.

I find the SP forums to be an excellent resource and far more reliable and accurate than many of the top industry forums too. I can only imagine what gems lay buried from the years before I joined up. Would be fantastic to see the best of the best organised where they can be found.

Easy for me to say, but yeah man, that gets my vote. (Insert one of those 'thumbs up' thingies here. Make it a double thumbs up)

Thanks for the input mate ..  Yea, theres a few standout articles that really deserve more recognition .. I like the idea of the music library too ..

I agree, its a top idea. As niktu said the quality and reliability of the information here compared to the other 'top' forums is awesome. I've soaked up a lot of knowledge at SP so I'd definitely make an effort to contribute in any way I could.

Maybe you could set up basic Wiki functionality, e.g. anyone with 100+ posts could make additions (or corrections if necessary) to the content posted on the main site, thus improving on the quality of the material...

Yep, I know it takes an extraordinary amount of effort (and I see so little time to get stuck into stuff these days) but I say, to make the vision happen, it's gotta happen.

Once you've got the groundwork in place, we can go back in and tweak the content of existing posts we already have ready for a more formal publication. Would be way cool to have a series of best of November, best of December, Track of the Year etc showcase of original music too.

I think it's a fantastic idea! Does sound like a lot of work but I imagine if you're smart about setting it up, all the hard work will be done there and then it will be piss easy to maintain.

Is there not an off the shelf open source type CMS that you could modify for the purpose to save a lot of work?

Thanks guys ...  Iv done some more research and I think i know what I want to do ..  Its going to be a huge overhaul ,  it will also mean a complete redesign , and switching to a different forum system , away from SMF.    It will also cost a bit of money , which is ok, as i think it will be worth it.

The end game how ever will mean a complete article system,  blogging system, forum, community, file manager etc .. all integrated and all based on the same user DB, you'll have 1 username and password for everything.      The problem I saw was trying to integrate user accounts across different platforms  (Wordpress and SMF for example)   but I think iv found a solution.

Articles would obviously go through some sort of approval process before it is published,  that way we can ensure quality and things like typos are ironed out before it goes public ..  

Blogs,  I think the best approach would basically be to grant blogging rights to people of interest, at least to start with..    It may be an outlet for people of authority or who can contribute their thoughts on a regular basis without having to post an article ..    ie,   Maybe RB wants to post about his experiences with lychee martini,  or Ehsan wants to blog about his label or SAE work etc ...

of course, anyone who wants to contribute will be able to , we'll find a way to do it ..    someone may even just want to blog about their experiences starting out in production.

Im pretty excited about it :D  

I think it's a fantastic idea! Does sound like a lot of work but I imagine if you're smart about setting it up, all the hard work will be done there and then it will be piss easy to maintain.

Is there not an off the shelf open source type CMS that you could modify for the purpose to save a lot of work?

Theres a lot out there .. but migrating what we currently have is a problem ,  also many of them although technically capable , have very crippled theme platforms.    I like the standard of design and aesthetics we have with soundpunk  now,  it took me a while to get it right ,  I dont want to step backwards ...

There is a platform that has been announced .. its very capable of doing what we need, and it has a brand new theme platform which i think will work very well .. it also has the ability to handle articles and blogging etc ..    theres licensing fee's involved but I think its worth it ..    Im waiting for it to be released and ill start developing the new site.

Once the design is done , migrating our current data and user base across will be the next tricky part , but theres guides on the net , so it should be doable ..

actually, it will be things like the embedded MP3 player that will be a hassle ..  iv got to find a similar solution,  then update all of the existing posts that use it to the new one .. 

should be able to do that in with a sql query hopefully though ..

sounds great - an article index would be great reviews, how tos and tips etc and a file index of tracks that users have posted all sound good and a forum of course - have you looked at the vanilla forum?

:D  ok , paid for the license today ...  Its official now ! ..    going to take a while though ..

No, you just need to mobilise hundreds of cheap chinese workers to code like those chimps Mr Burns had in the Simpsons.

1004simpsons.jpg

i like it.. agreed with the blogging...  it would make it like a guest column in the papers - something people might look forward to reading as opposed to reading just for the sake of it.

Yup exactly ..  We want to avoid random noise from people who only 1 or 2 posts or who are not known in the community. 

That being said,  just because someone isnt a long term member,  doesnt mean they cant do a write up.  They'll just need to have it approved first.

Pretty much just looking for quality content.    Even if your a newbie,  if you do a good write up, im happy to promote to bloggers status so they can continue to contribute.

Think of it like an online magazine i guess.

I thought i might just give a slight update on the progress of this ,  just so you guys know its still very much in the works ...

Theres a lot of work being done,  and the new system is much more in depth ,  hence why im also just taking time to learn it myself and not rushing ..

Progress is coming along nicely ...  its still early days , but i thought i might give a slight taste of things to come ..  so heres a few screenshots from the very early builds ..  

things to note first ..  The style, is not complete, it may change a fair bit from these screenshots so dont worry if you dont like it. .. iv created a basic representation of what the current soundpunk style is , on the new platform ,  theres still a LOT of work to be done here ..

Ignore the articles ,  im just entering junk data for testing ..  or iv copied some articles from my blog site gazeek.com for some content ..

You get the point anyway ..

Editing an Article

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/4084/editarticle.jpg

Groups - The new version will allow for people to create their own sub communities, groups and invite people. These can be public or private groups.  Sort of like facebook groups.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/4527/groups.jpg

A Blog post - The main goal of the new site is to present and publish content like real articles, not just forum posts.  here is a typical blog post.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/3051/blogpost.jpg

Blog Listing - Listing of blogs

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/6073/bloglist.jpg

Forum - And of course, the forum with all the same categories, posts, sections etc. This will be the same,  just on a new system.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/6023/forumln.jpg

Top work Cheyne...

I've had the techno fire rekindled of late, so I plan to be round these parts a bit more frequently... Great to see things moving ahead.

cheers Eddie.

Yea, im the same, iv been pushing my self into some more production work lately, trying to rekindle the flame.  The 9-5 job (which is more like 8:30 to 6) has been killing my motivation ..

Im excited about the new site, iv just been skimming through some old threads, and im seeing so much good content that iv never even seen before,  its time to bring that stuff back to the surface and give it some more exposure ..

Oh , yea .. and a feature of the new site is the ability to promote forum posts to articles ..  so if someone makes a good post,  its only a click away from being a front page article … (the thread still exists of course)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0