Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anders

Pro Tools: Feature Requests

9 posts in this topic

Im sure every Pro Tools user has their own opinion on the functionality of the software. If you stop and think about it im sure you could write a list of features that other DAWs already have or things that no one is doing properly at the moment that you would like to see in Pro Tools. You can spend all day posting your opinions here there and everywhere but why not go straight to the source?

Well now there is a solid method to get your feedback to the developers. This site was created by the developers of Pro Tools specifically to gather feedback from Avid's customers. They want your feedback and you will see changes. There are plenty of obvious ones out there. For example, at the top of the list: ADC, non-realtime bounce, track freezing. Feel free to add your vote to those that are important to you but also look further and contribute new ideas. Some ideas that while basic, would speed up my workflow are:

Sub-bins in the regions bin

Input trim for all tracks

Import session data check boxes (instead of that pop-up menu)

Want to see changes???

http://protools.ideascale.com/

I tried to Anders but when I tried to regsiter with legit email addy, it didn't send my confirmation email.

I tried a couple of times but gave up. I might try again later with a different addy to see how that goes.

Hey Anders, I managed to login with my yahoo account. It didn't like my xxx.mail.com account for some reason.

I clicked and I clicked.

I hope that Digi/Avid crew have got something posh up their sleeve. Would luv to see PT bounce back (scuze the pun) with something worth getting excited over. I obviously don't know how the sales are going but I imagine the recent additions (Eleven Rack & that new baby version of Pro Tools Super Light) won't be sparking the imagination of the creative world too much.

I've never seen the DUC with so many hostile threads going down. Lot of angry PT users out of there. "Fed up" would generalise the sentiment. Anyway, too complicated an issue to resolve here so, thanks for the link. We'll see if the devs continue to ignore or dismiss our screaming demands for ADC & freeze. They have so far.

There are people who have felt left out through Pro Tools' history. More people then ever appear to be posting about that now. I can only assume that's because they don't believe their voice will be heard this time. Or maybe they just want to let off steam for feeling ignored in the past.

This website is a tool created by Avid to help collect honest feedback in the words of the customer and deliver it straight to the guys who make the decisions. That is a sure sign that someone is listening. Not every idea is realistic or possible but this scale will help prioritize where product development is focused. Its a strong connection, please make the most of it!

niktu, anything you were particularly keen to click (besides ADC and Freeze ;))?

niktu, anything you were particularly keen to click (besides ADC and Freeze ;))?

Nah mate. Not really. I'm cynical and think that Digi will release a bunch of (sort of) useful features but leave out the two most important and significant features that makes your work flow a LOT easier. Not that I wouldn't want all of the other features suggested, but Digi will need to add ADC & freeze before it can be considered to be a real alternative to the state-of-the-art offerings from Apple, Steinberg, MOTU & Cakewalk to me.

OK, at this point, you might want to get yourself a cup of tea or switch to another thread. Rant mode on:

I think Pro Tools has been selling to the masssive semi-pro market on elitism alone because it certainly hasn't been price or the feature set. It just doesn't measure up to the competition anymore IMO.

Flogging 10 year old technology, half price, to users in 2009 as an upgrade almost seems desparate. People are understandably questioning the worth and relevence of Digidesign in the day of the i7. Even if you, erm, 'upgrade' to HD, ADC still isn't transparent and needs to be managed. WTF? Lets not forget the price you pay for TDM plugins. Double - in most cases (Waves/McDSP). From my view point, HD doesn't look appealling to anyone except fanbois, long-time loyalists (respect to you) or those really needing Pro Tools for post for the sake of compatability because many of the post production houses are 'locked in' to the hardware.

LE, has been intentionally crippled to protect or define HD's 'professional' feature set. A feature set of which is generally common place in any competitors $800 D.A.W. with a decent interface and i7 PC. The only thing we'd miss out on is the 48Bit mixer from HD.

I think tab to transient is bloody great, luv Transfuser, luv the Digi-only McDSP stuff (got the bundle) and I generally like the look & feel of Tools but I've had more than a couple of experiences where I've built up complex sessions and needed to change buffer settings to allow for more plugs. What a timing nightmare. This is quite simply unacceptable and adding input trim for all tracks or faster than realtime bounce, won't compensate for these fundamental operational flaws. Complex sessions, to me, are just about out of the question in LE unless I sgnificantly restrict and/or constantly monitor my plugin count and manually adjust accordingly. Workarounds like Mellowmuse are also a P.I.T.A. If all PT9 offered was ADC & freeze, a lot of people would consider that amazing - for Digidesign.

Sorry, Anders. I know you've got a job to do (and I'm obviously in rant mode) but Digis back-end has got problems. Both in terms of what's on offer, the rediculous prices and public perception ($20U.S. extra for MP3 is simply insulting). I don't know if that's what the sales are saying but after forking out the best part of $4000 (with CPTK), for what i consider to be a flawed system, I'm feeling somewhat of a chump for buying in - at least to the level I did. My mistake.

I've since moved back to Cubase 5, have a TC Konnekt 48 and I'm looking forward to getting Wavelab 7 when it comes out for MAC. I don't think about ADC, I just create. And, I'll be getting myself one of those i7 iMacs soon-ish. So, now I'm just trying to figure out if I need to hang on to my trumped up PT rig at all. Still confused and undecided.

Sorry to openly criticise like this Anders, but as a paying customer and producer of music, I think Digi needs to wake up & respond with the (real) goods or risk falling further behind.

Gimme ADC & freeze first, keep my custom, then we'll talk about faster-than-real-time bounce and all the rest.

How's that for one big cry. :'(

Now I need a cup of tea.

I think Digi needs to wake up & respond with the (real) goods or risk falling further behind.

This attitude is why Avid is making some changes. Moving forward you WILL see development where the customer asks for it. I hope you can see that is what this website is all about.

This attitude is why Avid is making some changes. Moving forward you WILL see development where the customer asks for it. I hope you can see that is what this website is all about.

That's heartening to know (sincerely). I didn't really percieve the website as anything other than a tokenistic illustration of pro-activity (perhaps others think the same?).  Will keep an eye out for these devlopments. Cheers.