Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rand0m

New to music production

8 posts in this topic

I guess I'll use this post as my introduction to these forums and to ask a few questions/advice. Someone suggested this site to me from another website http://www.cosm.co.nz/, which I feel I should include in this post. Tom Cosm also has some amazing tutorials for beginners like myself and I can't help but support guys who give their music out for free.

Right now I am a university student and was getting increasingly bored with my life, so I decided to try to make the music I listen to all the time. In my life I've had little in the way of music production or musical even musical training. Played the violin for years when I was quite young and the guitar (standard teenage instrument) for about a year. Besides that I've had very limited experience with music, just listening really. I have been listening to what I would label as "electronic" for many years and was first introduced to the genre by accident while streaming internet radio (probably 7 years ago) and it has become my most favorite genre (http://www.last.fm/user/xRand0mx). So I recently picked up Ableton Live 8, a M-Audio KeyRig 49 (small budget) and an APC 40. I've been playing around with that equipment for around a month. The APC 40 is an amazing piece of hardware. Very nooby friendly :(. More recently I bought the Komplete package due to that incredible deal and it has been a blast just going through all of that. Probably the most fun I've had in a long time.

I really only have one question and that is, how does one go about remxing? I've been told by many people to go out and remix songs. But I can't seem to figure it out. Like what if I just want the lyrics? Or a specific section of a song without taking the drum beat in the background? Are there any websites dedicated to this or tutorials based around ableton software?

Any other advice would be much appreciated and I thank you in advance.

-Rand0m

Welcome to the forum.

This thread belongs in User Tracks section. You can link to the soundcloud tracks using the flash tags - which means you can embed specific tracks in your posts. To make it easy for everyone using the forum and get you the best feedback, you're better off posting a couple (3 at most) of your best tracks in the User tracks section and waiting for some feedback. Make sure you put one track per thread - that way the feedback wont get mixed up.

I'd move this for you... but i'm not a mod in the n00bs forum. So, you could just leave this as your intro thread and start a couple of new threads in the tracks section with links to your tracks. Don't worry if you can't figure out the flash embed - we'll keep an eye out for your posts in there and embed it for you so you can see how it's done next time :(

Welcome to the forum.

This thread belongs in User Tracks section. You can link to the soundcloud tracks using the flash tags - which means you can embed specific tracks in your posts. To make it easy for everyone using the forum and get you the best feedback, you're better off posting a couple (3 at most) of your best tracks in the User tracks section and waiting for some feedback. Make sure you put one track per thread - that way the feedback wont get mixed up.

I'd move this for you... but i'm not a mod in the n00bs forum. So, you could just leave this as your intro thread and start a couple of new threads in the tracks section with links to your tracks. Don't worry if you can't figure out the flash embed - we'll keep an eye out for your posts in there and embed it for you so you can see how it's done next time :(

Editted for you. Didn't realize that wasn't allowed in the noob section.

No probs - it's allowed... you're more likely to get feedback if you post it in the User Tracks section, though. Sorry - i should have been more clear. You'll get more and better feedback if you post in the tracks section. There's a thread in the General section called "16 bars from you right now" where you can post snips of idea's you're working on and get matching snips of feedback and encouragement. There's no issue with posting links to tracks in any forum, just that your question was more for feedback... which you'll get the most from User Tracks.

Ahhhh... Sunday. When i get to be even more illogical than normal :(

Rand0m, welcome! ;)

Everything is allowed, this is SoundPunk! ;)

What I think Jester was getting at is your opening post consists of several threads in one:

1) Your intro (and of course again, welcome!)

2) Your new gear

2) Your tracks (which I enjoyed, cheers for sharing, but best post in the user tracks section so we can all provide feedback)

3) Question re remixes.

re: Remixes, by definition, requires the original multi track parts, and that's generally a hard thing to come by, unless:

a) you know the artist, or you're well respected and artists/labels approach you to commission the remix

:( the track has been released as part of some remix competition of sorts.

Otherwise, you're pretty much limited to bootlegging what you can from the original tune (or its subsequent remixes, extended, instrumental, a cappella versions). Legally, it's a copyright minefield, but this is all about getting experience with working with musical parts in a sequencing program, and presumably encouraging you to compose some accompanying instrument and rhythm parts to develop your own musical capabilities.

But why on earth do remixes gain more street cred than original tunes? If the general public realised how simplistic it is to blatantly rip off a popular tune, then perhaps remixes wouldn't garner then acclaim they receive. But then again, if people don't recognise a tune, it doesn't generally achieve instant acceptance, and so remixes continue to win out time and time again.

We'll try and flag any new remix opportunities we come across. In fact, there really should be a sticky for that. Cheers for the idea! ;)

And be sure to post your tunes in the user tracks section. ;)

Yeah, originally there was a link to randoms soundcloud stuff. Just thought it was best in Tracks so they could get some real feedback.

with regards to remixing, for a commercial track you can generally find the acapella and sometimes the midi file [ googles ] online and if you've got an ear for it you can probably pick out the main chords / melodies on your keyboard - just trial + error. combine that with ableton chops from the original [ practice using eq and filter to isolate parts ] and you should end up with plenty of content to have a crack at it. for more electronic or 'underground' [for want of a better term] stuff just spend a while breaking up the original into samples and go from there. emerging producers can also be very receptive to a quick facebook / myspace message, but it really helps if you have some of your own tunes available for them to check out so they can see what slant you are likely to put on their tune. also you can use the blog network to establish relationships with producers of similar taste and trade track stems etc.

the only other tip i would give, seeing as you mentioned you are just starting out, is to replicate. when you  start a new project, have an idea of the type of tune you want to make, find an awesome track like it, load it as a reference track in ableton and experiment with trying to emulate the arrangement, sound design etc. its the very best way to learn quickly how to put a track together in my experience and will push you to try new techniques.

the other only tip - hit the theory thread, there's a huge amount of gold in there, even if you just try and implement a couple of nuggets each time round.

good lucks!