Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dirt_Rock

Isnt the main focus the main OUTPUT

84 posts in this topic

No bigger turn off than a performer who stands back and looks... pissed off with everything.

i dunno... while dj'ing i've been known to give a record (or cd) that slips outa time for no reason the finger... angry face and everything

usually gets a laugh if anyone's watching

interesting thread.

I don't like it when an act looks like they are checking their email. But that is a performance aspect, nothing to do with their software choices. This goes the other way also, I remember seeing Junkie XL at two tribes years and years ago, first 'big' act I saw using a laptop and nothing else, he spent more of his time dancing away from the laptop than in front of it. I thought it was fucking ridiculous.

The very same night I saw speedy j with a table full of samplers and synths. He proceeded to have the EPA turn up for the noise, then cook the amps, it sounded dreadful in patches, but it was fucking awesome at the same time.

One thing that I don't like about all the possibilities being available in the pc in front of you, is that people can't help but use them. Now this is a stylistic argument and it may just be nostalgia from when the drugs worked better *but* I miss that 'live techno' sound.

I heard some pretty fucking AMAZING stuff that has been banged out live on a laptop. But sometimes I miss the sound of 'creative limitations' (read: fuck all sample ram) the lofi crunch of the mpc/s3000, 303, 909 & ms2000 slopped through a mackie vlz or behringer eurorack and banged out through a $200 limiter.

As far as tonal/sonic quality went, it was dreadful. But It sounded like 'live techno' so you'd dump half a g of goey, grab yourself a carlton draught and rock the fuck out in deep 11.

So yeah, maybe it is just nostalgia, but you gotta admit, it did have a certain something and I'm not talking about chinstroker integrity.

^ Yeah Eddie, way to make us feel old and boring B)

I know what you mean though - there's a certain 'punk' aspect to hard live acid and techno that forgoes some fidelity for a sheer assault of the senses. And I love it!

Some early sets by Voiteck, Alpharisc, Steve Robbins, Chuck 303, sets using a 303 (or two), 909, Boss DS-1 pedal, Alesis Midiverb and a mackie 1202...

... caning crowds over the head with it  :)   

old and boring

;DHA Ha Wicked!

rock the fuck out in deep 11

we need a dirty clubs like deep 11 back in melbs again but public liability and kids ODing on GHB has killed parties compared to what they used to be not to mention certain party promoters making life difficult

I still remember My first virus party at 17 1/2.....wowo that means Ive been around for a while too... :-

yeah i played at deep 11 (mercat cross) with the MTC boys great venue for techno...  i remember sharing a 909 with guy the geezer mc affer at a party once he played first and i came on and found the kick channel redlining on the fader, gains and bass eq you couldn't physically turn the kick channel up any further on the 1642 mmmmmmmm dirty techno fuzz ....

I still remember My first virus party at 17 1/2.....wowo that means Ive been around for a while too... :-

reckon that means yr a yung'un

B)

i was on the ableton forum, and there's this guy who i've listened to his music for a while his name's "audiovoid", and he does a very good job with his sound quality... does everything in Ableton even mastering (w/ some VST's), his sets are done from an APC and the tracks are mixed live... he mentioned using mastering devices during the set on his master track, i think the two devices he had were a vintange warmer and something called a transformer, but im not sure what they are....

One thing very useful about doing live clip launching and mixing versus just a mastered track is that you can do things on the fly.... if you have ever seen Lazersword, Bassnectar, or the Bounce Brigade... the fact that they mix clips and not whole songs makes EVERY set different... every time Lazersword plays a track live, it is totally different for the most part, and i've seen the Bounce Brigade sample the applause of the audience and mixed it as a live loop for a pad sound.... can't do that with full tracks...

i'm just going to have to learn how to master and mix well enough that i can do it all myself, and have each track in my songs mastered.... audiovoid does his own mastering and it kills