Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rhythmboy

'Those' chemical beats - Bonham originals!

8 posts in this topic

Been looking into this some more, and come to the realisation that these snippets are really quite special.

JohnBonham002_small.jpg

Firstly, they're from LZ's final studio album recorded as a group. While "In Through The Out Door" apparently received average reviews, it sold successfully, and in my opinion, still managed to crack out some of their most significant, standout pieces from their 8 studio album career. From the epic opener, "In The Evening", to the distinctly non-typically-LZ, "Fool In The Rain" (which Jeff Porcaro later attributed as a significant inspiration to that magic shuffle groove in Toto's "Rosanna"), yeah I reckon this album was great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Through_the_Out_Door

Secondly, they're from JB's final studio album before he died. While I knew he'd died before his time, I'd never considered he'd passed so young. Just 32. What a legacy, huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bonham

Gonna have to crack out my entire LZ CD set (and a Houses Of The Holy vinyl) out of storage when I'm in Sydney @ Easter me thinks...

^ He's an egnima of rock history hey? Only 32... (shakes head)

And what a beautiful kit - tres 70's :) - although seriously his regular Ludwig had the biggest kick of the day - 28" if I recall.

One of the reasons for the hugeness of his sound - sheer acoustic mass!

The samples have that real tape sound about them, and also fascinating to get little bits of headphone bleed on a few - it's like you're a fly on the wall of a LZ session for a few moments  ;)