loopmash looks like tamed loop rearranger

heap of new bits lets hope it's not a bugfest like 4.0 was

NAMM has had some major upgrades coming through

akai's new controller

ableton 8 and max live

waldorf microQ VSTi

sampling option for waldorf blofeld desktop upgrade

NI's MASCHINE soft/hardware drum machine

Yeah, with any luck it'll be a few new features with all of the previous bugs wrapped up and filed on a shelf somewhere. Reading the feature list, it doesn't look like there have been any massive changes... well, other than 64 bit, i guess :)

I'll be keeping an eye on C5.

Some of the Motif technology looks like it could making it's way into Cubase. I had a Yami RS7000 and a MO6 and I constantly think about going back to the RS7000. It had the best damn hardware MIDI sequencer I've ever used and had an utterly fantastic MIDI regroove feature, sort of like a smart randomiser. I always felt like the grooves I created with that thing were MY grooves and not Eric Persings (Spectrasonics guy) if ya know what I mean. And the knobs... oh, the knobs.

The Loop-Masher in C5 looks like a Transfuser type of thing but I don't begrudge them for that. It could even be better than Transfuser. Before I went to Uni and sold my soul to Digidesign, I used to use Cubase not that long a go. I always liked that Groove Agent too. It was good for starting point ideas and you could easily randomise a few things and spew out the MIDI data into a track for further editing - which in Cubase, was a breeze.

Student price is only $299U.S. - and you can upgrade it later. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on C5. Hmmm. :- 

Fuck! Here we go again.

Well, I did it - finally. I ordered Cubase 5 & Groove Agent 3 for a fantastic discounted student price through Audio Oz this morning. Could be the beginning of the end for my tricked out (& trumped up) Pro Tools LE rig. It just aint the ideal creative DAW (for MIDI) no matter how much I wanted it to be.

I had a bit of a stint in Reaper 3 beta and it looks impressive but just has a long way to go IMO regards creative features. Can see some use for it as a handy VST host networked on a spare PC or Mac. But I still had that 'wanting' feeling while I was using it as a DAW.

My last stint w/Cubase was on SX3 and my first goes back to Atari 1040ste days (with a whopping 1Mb ram). Can't wait to get back to 'base. C5 looks the shit.

I'm on a Mac at the mo - but that might change too. Bring on the backlash.

Hmm anyone know how much the upgrade is from Cubase Studio 4 ?