Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
s yes

I'm a beginner...help/advice required please

22 posts in this topic

This is why I’m here…..

I’ve been making music for years now  using cool edit pro for editing samples and acid pro for writing. I’m doing ok at the moment and look to be releasing stuff and getting it distributed next year in the UK. Before next June 2009 I need to be able to present my project live which I should be able to do – have addition members etc BUT….

……what I need/want to do is get my own act together regarding what I play. (stay with me  please..)

I have obtained an Oxygen 49 Midi controller (which comes with Ableton 6). I want to be able to assign loops to individual keys so when I hit a key on the oxygen it starts a loop and when I hit another key, it also adds to the sound and so on and so on….i think you get the idea.

First question; can this be done using Acid? – I really like This software and ideally if I can get this done using  acid I’ll be happy and closer to reaching my goal. If I’m going to have to use ableton I think it’ll take me longer to sort out.

I have a laptop. I have acid pro/cool edit and the oxygen 49 attached…now I need to make a noise come out of it all….any help appreciated

Be gentle.

xx

Honestly mate , if you've got ableton already there , id load your loops up into that and buy a trigger finger or some other type of pad based controller ..  Assigning loops and triggers in ableton couldnt be easier  .. even if you dont use ableton as the main sequencer , at least re-wire it .

p.s .. Welcome to SoundPunk mate ;)

ditto on using ableton

load your loops into there

you can map them to be triggered by keys on your ozone

another approach in live 6 is to make simpler racks to control multiple samples

once you got your head around live basics research dummy clips and racks

Thanks for your comments. I'll have to admit that I'm just after a quick way learning all of this and having sat down and actually read the manual whilst going through the tutorials it seems to me that you're all correct. My Oxygen came with Ableton 6 live but it appears to just be a demo which sucks because it looks like i'll have to get the full version somehow (unless i just need to download it from somewhere and i havn;t reached that bit of the manual yet!). I'm sure you won't have heard that last of me yet tho because as i have stated already...i'm a lazy sod who would rather spend time writing new tunes than learning how to perform them.

I'll keep you posted on my progress and if you're nice i'll add links eventually so you can hear what i'm doing. I'll also try to find time to get interested in what people on this board are up to also.  thanks again - see you soon

- s yes x

I'm sure you won't have heard that last of me yet tho because as i have stated already...i'm a lazy sod who would rather spend time writing new tunes than learning how to perform them.

Aah mate, us muso's have to practice and rehearse every week just as much as we like writing tunes - it's part of the job :D

If you want to do good gigs it takes practice ey? A surprising number of folk would take a few years to develop a fully working, fully flexible live set they can run at big shows. if you can get something gig-worthy in a month or two you're doing awesome :)

i'm giving myself 6 months to get two live shows sorted - then i'll concentrate on doing it properly if i dont get slaughtered in the process..... :(

Yeah Ableton Lite is severely crippled, but if you're planning on doing live sets there is nothing better than Live IMO and the upgrade to the full version is worth every penny! I'm sure I'm not the only proud (paid) owner who doesn't regret a cent of what I've spent. If you're mainly using it for sampling it's probably not worth buying the Ableton Suite version, although the synths included in it will give you access to an infinite number of really high quality sounds, you can get by without them with a few free plugs to start out with.

It's really quite an intuitive program, albeit somewhat mouse heavy for a lot of things. Experimentation is really key. If you can think of it then there's probably a way to do it in Live and often you'll find that the way you try to do it will work. If you are ever stuck for a way to do something, well that's what we 'Punks are here for ;) I've got a good 3 years of Ableton use under my belt and I'm sure several other guys have even more. The best thing is that you will probably find that you're able to make your tracks come to life even more by manipulating them in Live; triggering samples from keyboard/pads is just the tip of a very big iceberg! And the fact that you're starting with samples of already completed tracks will mean that the learning curve is less steep because most of the hard work is done - although Ableton is also powerful as a writing tool, it can be quite inspiring and you may find yourself with even more new tunes than you have time to play live ;)

I'm not sure if we have any Acid experts here. Do we, guys?

Welcome :D

i now have ableton 7 and have managed to get a few samples set up to be triggered off when i hit the allocated keys.....have also just bought a Kork kaossilator for a bit of added OOmph! - i'm confident that i'll be able to gig v soon..i have a gigging history and have been getting enough radio play in the UK to warrant this being a modest target to reach...watch this space ... xx

ya and it kicks ass! i use it for live as a drum pad, mixer, effects controller, and clip launcher... very sturdy and compact... w/ my laptop and my launchpad i can essentially do a whole set with just that and not need anything else (though I do use a midi keyboard to control artillery)

From what I have seen whilst visiting the threads here if you need any kind of advice these folks will not steer you in the wrong direction, unlike some forums I could mention.