Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Avid

Pro Tools wont play?

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have recently brought a mbox with Protools 7.1 and I tried to play a seassion from an older version from a friends computar but it wont play. It just says "DAE error -9131" and doesnt play the song.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Avid

(EDIT: Fixed typo in Subject title - makes searching threads difficult - Spec. ;) )

Hi Avid are you using an external harddrive or playing the session directly from the DVD drive?

I only just had this problem two days ago when I forgot to drag the files from the DVD onto the computer's harddrive :-[

If you go to http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=54&langid=100&itemid=26306 it says that Pro Tools DAE error 9131 is the same thing:

"Double check that the Session has been copied onto a valid Playback hard drive before opening it and attempting playback.

On one occasion, trying to play back the Pro Tools session after opening it from the CD-ROM resulted in DAE Error -9131. "

A few people have had trouble on here trying to read a session from an external harddrive. It's probably best to drag the files into a folder on your computer.

Hope that helps.

Hey Avid, yeah I had the same trouble about two months ago with the DAE error -9131 and discovered that it was because I was trying to run the session off my external firewire 400 hard-drive. ::(

I think it's a common enough mistake to make but now I know exactly what error 9131 is so that's a plus :D

Wow thanx dudes that was fast. I was running off  my external hard so I should put the stuff on my computar yes?

Ok I did that just then and it now playing.  8)

Thanx peeps!

(really helpfull site for my sort of work)

I was running off  my external hard so I should put the stuff on my computar yes?

Nope, shouldn't be necessary.

In fact, Digidesign recommends one uses a second drive for the session (ie. not the system drive which is running the OS and Pro Tools application).

See how you go once you've copied it back.

Also, might be worth checking that the drive is set up as a record/playback volume (which is in a Pro Tool setup menu, which I just can't think the name of right now).

Thanx peeps!

(really helpfull site for my sort of work)

Nice one. :(

What sort of work do you do?

And interesting your handle is Avid (them being the owners of Digidesign and all that).

Just thought id jump in to clarify here. This is all Pro Tools LE for Windows info both from Digi developers and my personal experience.

It is recommended that you run your sessions off an external FW400 or FW800 drive (FW800 not supported with MBox 2 Pro). If you are running sessions off of your FW drive and still receive DAE 9XXX errors then the most likely culprit is your FW chipset in your computer. You can bypass that chipset by using a PCI Firewire card. Most PCI cards are not suitable and result in even more  :bang:. To save you the trouble here are details on supported cards. If your on a laptop then you have no options here, this is why it is soo important to by a supported PC laptop.

Digidesign-Qualified FireWire/1394 HBA Cards for Windows

* ADS PYRO PCI 64R2

Part Numbers:

o API-315 (RoHS compliant)

o API-311 (discontinued)

Bus type: 64-bit PCI

* SIIG 1394 3-port PCI i/e

Part Numbers:

o NN-440012-S8 (RoHS compliant)

o NN-440012 (discontinued)

Bus type: 32-bit PCI

Hard drive configurations that are not supported for playback or record

USB Hard Drives

Just don't bother with these.

Any drive under 7,200RPM

Slower drives will give you a couple of tracks but will bog down very quickly.

eSATA

These have not been tested by Digidesign but I have spoken to a few people now who found this to be the cause of their problems.

Any RAID system

These will give you high track counts and all will seem well until all of a sudden your sessions become corrupt and you have to start that Top 40 hit of yours again. Back up your work frequently if you insist on using this system.