Followers 0
Spectrum

Pro Tools 8

20 posts in this topic

pt8_header_54072.jpg

It's here!

And I didn't even see it coming!

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=399&ref=pt8-hpf

Meet the new Pro Tools® 8 — the most advanced audio creation and production software, featuring:

- a gorgeous new interface;

- dozens of new plug-ins;

- five new virtual instruments;

- exciting new scoring, MIDI, editing, and mixing capabilities;

- deeper controller integration; improved ease of installation and use; and enhanced performance.

With Pro Tools 8, you get the most comprehensive music and sound creation features and functionality, and the proven, dedicated platform for world-class audio production — all in a single application. Pro Tools 8 is coming soon for Pro Tools|HD®, Pro Tools LE®, and Pro Tools M-Powered™ systems, so get ready — you’ll never work with audio the same way again.

Now if this goes for the usual 75 buck upgrade, I'll be most happy. Wait, they seem to have incorporated the Music Production Toolkit, offering up to 48 stereo (or mono) tracks... curious what happens to those (ahem me) who forked out the equivalent price of Logic just to get these extra tracks in the past. Does it then give us rights to jump on the V2 of these upgrades?

And there's now a RTAS drum machine thrown in!

Anyway, all looking good. ;)

Yeah, looking really good. Mind you, they're only introducing things that literally *every* other DAW has had for years, but hey, if you're 'locked-in' to the Digi family, these sorts of updates are a welcome sight, plus Digidesign tends to implement such things really well.

Oooh... just spotted some new hardware...

003r+_thmb_17492.jpg

Digi 003 Rack+

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=61&navid=464&ref=003+-hpf

003detail_17494.jpg

And the price?

Set to be around USD $149 for the LE update, USD $250 for the TDM-I-mean-HD update.

But the catch? Mac users must be running 10.5 Leopard. So the time has come for me to bit the bullet me thinks.

i always had a giggle at tools limitation on tracks

"Pro Tools 8 expands the power of your current hardware interface, allowing you to work with up to 48 mono or stereo audio tracks. Add Music Production Toolkit 2 (for serious musicians and music producers) or DV Toolkit™ 2 (for complete post production, Pro Tools LE only) and you can create huge mixes, with up to 64 mono or stereo audio tracks. And with the new Complete Production Toolkit (Pro Tools LE only), which combines both toolkits, you can work with up to 128 audio tracks AND get 7.1 surround mixing capabilities, making it easier than ever to collaborate with Pro Tools|HD users."

give us more money and we will give you something that should be free..  all the others have had 128 to unlimited track counts straight outta the box

10.5 aint so bad now phil they've ironed out many of the bugs and it runs quite smooth now @10.5.5  on my imac  i'm still on 10.4.11 on my laptop will be updating soon

I just found out about this new product today and I feel a bit Rip off, I brought my 003 only when the just came out in stors,

I wounder if they will do a trade-in other 003 modles? But it is good to see that digi took the leep forword.

About Time

MOJOE

I am wrapped i saw this post tonight! I was just about to purchase the update to Logic Pro 8 but i think i have a new priority :) It also gives me the excuse ive been looking for to upgrade to leopard. I would be suprised Moe Joe if they don't offer a trade in program as they have done it with past hardware updates but do you really need it? Running your you 8 channel mic-pre with your existing 003 rack would pretty much give you the same setup.

Lots of fun times to be had with this one! Feel free to ear bash this forum with your questions as they arise... But not before.

Time to bite the bullet very soon - more RAM, new drive, upgrade the OS and get PT8... this looks worth it  ;)

Christmas present to self  ;)

Pro Tools HD 8 extends the extensive capabilities of Digidesign’s Pro Tools|HD audio hardware with the new Satellite Link option, which allows you to control up to five Pro Tools|HD systems as one.

Suck on THAT Nuendo users!  :eatadick:

Wait, they seem to have incorporated the Music Production Toolkit, offering up to 48 stereo (or mono) tracks...

And there's now a RTAS drum machine thrown in!

Sweet this sounds awesome. Us L.E. users can now use up to 48 audio tracks without forking out the additional $$$! Other than that it doesn't seem to be much different than the 7.4 version. Or is that just me...

It's good to see that PT is starting to branch out into more of a compositional role to compete with rival programs though.

Has anyone upgraded to this yet? If so how is it?

^^ Hehe... I so want that jacket! ;D

At least we finally got Mononic's point of view out of him. He wants PT to retain its strengths as a straightforward multitrack 'tape' recorder. Personally, I don't how that's been lost in this update. All the same editing tools are all still there as far as I can tell, in the same locations, with the same names.

But can Digidesign afford to continue in today's climate without including a 'complete' package (and continue chasing the soft-synth MIDI edge of its competitors)? That's what's driven these last few significant updates.

We'll see how this all translates in the real world by the end of the year I guess. Release scheduled for mid-December.

Jeez I've probably just violated a whole lotta copyright there ^  :-

I'll have the guys in the caffeteria write "Was it worth it" on a big cake for you :)

ah, I was watching Scrubs last night...

Has anyone else already got there hands on in yet? If so what do you think?

Yep. I went for the Complete (extortion) Kit with ALL the AIR instruments. Quite a butt-clenching financial commitment but there you go.

At this stage, I've hardly scratched the surface of what PT8 can do and I've only been in PT/Mac land for 12-18 months or so. So, keep that in mind if considering my opinion.

I think PT8 is great. Sibelius quality notation (if you need/use it, this is a big plus), the new MIDI editor is great too. Pro Tools can finally be considered a serious MIDI programmers tool in my view. The colour coding is great for big mixes with lot's of groupings, etc. And the option to go surround for those that need/want it is a plus too. I'll save the question of 'value-for-money' for someone else.

A couple of silly niggles regarding their instruments (there's a lot more over at the DUC): no MIDI out in Boom. Logic's Ultrabeat eats it - but then there's Transfuser. No MIDI sync in Velvet's Tremolo (what is this?). Hybrid - killer (tempo-step-sync'd-assignable modulation). Mini Grand - Killer.

All in all the whole standard and quality for VI's & MIDI editing has improved 10 fold for Pro Tools users. Whether it's better than Logic/Cubase/Cakewalk is debatable. But the quality for PT8 in my view is top-notch. I'm impressed with my new system but It's costly.

That's my lunch-time-at work review and i know I mentioned optional extras but take from it what you will. I might have a different opinion after I've used it for six months and a bit more time to consider the plus/minus's.

Later punks.

Dont sweat about the date of the post niktu, it was nice to finally get a response.

Couldn't agree with you more on the review of the new features on PT8 I have been using it for 2 months now and im lovin it. I had never really had much time for Sibelius but now with the notation feature on PT8 I cant believe how much i am using it, I find the midi editing tools and interface very easy to use, the new interface is alot more pleasing to the eye, improving the number of tracks available for a session was something i think that Digidesign had to include (without charging  us extra for it) and all my old favorite features from V7 are still there. Although i have always loved my Logic i have to admit that it has just recently been removed  from my mac as it no longer of any use to me (i will be keeping it close by just in case of an emergency).

Again thanks for the reply and good to hear that you are a mac user aswell  :clap:, Mac land's population seems to be growing at a rapid rate which is great news.

I ordered my copy of ProTools 8 today. Has anyone else already got there hands on in yet? If so what do you think?

Slick. Enjoying it very muchly.