Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dylab

patchbay 101

10 posts in this topic

after reading that and watching the video i need a big idiots guide to patchbays or maybe just buy one and figure it out

i have ultralite so got 8 inputs and outputs

and 7 synths/ drum machines and a bunch on pedals

though would like to get stereo/ multi parts out of korg gear and individual parts from 707

so I have a spare input but I also need to redo all my cables as the ones I have have wide ends which limits the inputs on ultralite because all the sockets are close together but a patchbay with 8 patch cables would prolly be same price as redoing all the cables atm

after reading that and watching the video i need a big idiots guide to patchbays or maybe just buy one and figure it out

Whether you buy one or not, take a look at Behringer's manuals for their ultrapatch units - provide a really good plain-english guide to patchbays for noobs with simple schematics etc.

http://www.behringer.com/05_support/downloads.cfm?lang=ENG

In select product, choose PX1000, PX2000 or PX3000. I tried just now but server temporarily down  ;) try later  ;)

Whatever our opinions on their product, I find their manuals are usually really educational  :)

i ended up getting one today

picked up a 24 neutrik and a bunch of cables from swap shop

will have to revisit some of this documentation and work it out

but will prolly go 1-8 into 1-8 in on ultralite

just wondering about the 1-8 out from ultralite if i want to send stuff to outboard and back in

i ended up getting one today

picked up a 24 neutrik and a bunch of cables from swap shop

will have to revisit some of this documentation and work it out

but will prolly go 1-8 into 1-8 in on ultralite

just wondering about the 1-8 out from ultralite if i want to send stuff to outboard and back in

Neutrik good choice!

It's hard to describe without a pic, but I suggest running the ultralite ins and outs on rows 1-8 of the bay, Ins at the top and Outs at the bottom.

Then hook up your outboard from Ch 9 onwards on the bay - again with Ins on the top and Outs on the bottom.

When you want to use outboard as an insert (the most common way with these setups), let's say for example:

Ch.1 Ultralite (= Ch 1 of the bay) with a kick drum inserts to a compressor channel (= CH 9 of the bay)...

On the bay, you'd simply use two patch leads - one patches from Ch 1 output row to Ch 9 input, and Ch 9 output row back to Ch 1 input. A simple closed loop so to speak. Or you could bounce it to another channel by simply patching Ch9 output to any other input. Assign your record channel to the same input and away you go!

Hope that made sense - like I said pics are much easier (but take longer to make :) )