Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spectrum

Calling all Punks! Mix this!

28 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Here's a bit of fun for you 'Punks to get your skills stuck into...

The Brief:

You're a freelance engineer for SoundPunk Studios, and just this afternoon one of the guys from local indie band, Red Light Nation, has stopped by with his raw session of their latest track, "Look Out Below" on a portable hard drive. They're keen to get the mix to a better standard for a demo that they plan to distribute on CD-Rs to pubs and bars in the city in the hope of getting more gigs.

Here's the track in its raw 'unmixed' state:

[mp3=400,30,0,center]http://www.soundpunk.com/downloads/public/tunes_and_tracks/LookOutBelow-UnMixed.mp3[/mp3]

NOTE: You need to join SoundPunk (free) and be logged in to download the link to the individual audio files. The link is provided in the Word document in the attachment at the bottom of this post.

The audio pack contains:

1-Guitar-0.00.000.wav

2-Kick-0.00.000.wav

3-Kit-0.00.000.L.wav

3-Kit-0.00.000.R.wav

4-Vocals1-0.21.733.wav

4-Vocals2-0.28.699.wav

N.B.1 The Pro Tools session is included, however, for non-Pro Tools users, the WAV files have been labeled with MIN.SEC.MS time stamping in the filename so you can position them correctly on the timeline in your sequencer.

N.B.2 Sorry, there's an extra file "Vocals_02.wav" that can be deleted as it's been covered in the Vocals2-0.28.699.wav

N.B.3. Vocals1 = Main Vocals and Vocals2 = Backing Vocals, and therefore should be placed on separate tracks (ie. Tracks 4 & 5) and not both on 4 as suggested by the filenames.

N.B.4 You'll note there's 2 files for Kit, one L and one R. This means 'left' and 'right' and it's Pro Tools way of managing stereo files. You can pop them on separate tracks panned accordingly, or use a utility to make them 'stereo interleaved'

N.B5 All audio remains the copyright of the band, Red Light Nation, and can not be used for any purpose other than this SoundPunk mix project without the express permission of the band, Red Light Nation. You may get into contact with them in this thread.

Remember, this is a an opportunity to have some fun with a band's multi-track recording, and not an opportunity to discuss how much you dislike the style. Often as an engineer, you're going to be given jobs that may not tickle your fancy, style-wise, however, the job still has to get done, and this is all about how you, the engineer, can get the mix sounding the best it possibly can with the materials you have at hand.

The band are totally open to constructive suggestions towards better recording techniques and the arrangement, and also keen to hear what techniques you applied during the mix process. Much thanks and appreciation goes to Red Light Nation for being so generous in letting us play with their stuff!

Any questions?

Cool!

Go!

8)

Also, to allow us to hear your mixes, use the SoundPunk Server and the SoundPunk Audio Player.

You can access the server to upload your file via the "File Manager" (accessed via the Quick Links along the menu bar at the top of this page). Please use the "tunes_and_tracks" folder or we will delete your file!. Once uploaded, check the box next to your file, choose "HOTLINK" from the options at the bottom, and copy the link provided.

To get your mix to play via the player, preview your post, then use the "Speaker" button to add the code:

[mp3=400,30,0,center] <PASTE YOUR AUDIO FILE LINK HERE WITHOUT THE SPACES!!!> [ /mp3]

Please post your mixes in this thread!

Make sense?

:P

So i'm guessing the idea is to just mix these tracks, not add other elements?

Cause I'd be so tempted to add (atleast) some bass.

Heey guys!

Feel free to add other elements. Its obviously an unfinished track - still missing bass guitar and a guitar solo. I'd love to hear some bass in there.

I originally posted this to get some tips for utilising Pro Tools so if use PT be sure to upload the session files so I can see how everything was done.

Cheers,

RLN

hmm currently in phuket so no mixing for me yet but sounds fun. got a week off zt home with not much to do next week so will have a crack! just bought myself a new 5 stringer so might give that a go too.

Anyone play bass able to donate a part for us? Saves me messing with a heavy low-pass filter on the guitar.

Oh, and welcome to SoundPunk, RLN. Pleased you found the place OK. Plenty of beers in the fridge. :P

COOL! Rock and Roll!  :cans:

Will have a bash at this on the weekend 

Welcome RLN, cool tune and thanks for the opp to play with it. Nice one  :clap:

And being one of - what - 4 or 5 PT users here  :P yep will pass on the PT session file when I'm done. No guarantee the plugins will be the same* but the regions will be there.

* Altho an interesting leveller of the playing field might be for PT users to only use the included Factory plugs - no 3rd party extras - so the boys can play them straight up. Also a chance to prove your chops on Digi plugs! Just an idea, think I'll do it even if others don't ;)

Great idea guys! I will definitely have a crack at this one (time permitting). Will upload the PT session for you too. Will keep it Digi Rack  :P

Great idea guys! I will definitely have a crack at this one (time permitting). Will upload the PT session for you too. Will keep it Digi Rack  ;)

Digi Rack all the way - come on PT'ers, be brave!

ps Anders just noticed yr sig  ;D

Hey, RLN, just has a thought. If you want to check out some of the PT Sessions that are uploaded here, you're gonna have to download the zip pack from here to go with it, otherwise I expect you'll find the audio files will be different.

I renamed them, plus consolidated the parts that were split up to make it easier for non-PT users to drop it into their DAW.

Sorry to make it trickier for you. ;)

And apologies to Cheyne too 'cause I left one of that extra vocal file in there, making the zip pack about 25MB bigger than it needed to be, so I hope you don't get stung on the SP Server bandwidth!  :-[

rough louder n grungier mix,

[mp3=400,30,0,center]http://www.soundpunk.com/downloads/public/sets_and_mixes/punk_mix_01 Rendered.aif.mp3[/mp3]

and rearranged with vocals at front then bring in guitar, its a bit out I didnt have time for a chopping session, motorbike is from later in vocal track

[mp3=400,30,0,center]http://www.soundpunk.com/downloads/public/tunes_and_tracks/punk_mix_01_a.aif.mp3[/mp3]

diggin the track  ;)

will print a mix just as soon as i get home tonite.

i am however sticking to the brief, ie treating this as a mixing gig, not a remix. so its just what you have given me. ive made a few little edits along the way, but im sure you will hear them.

as for the mix and gear used...

its all outboard except for waves Rcomp over the stereo drum track, aphex BBE and Waves C1 on the kick, cubase's VST Dynamics on the BV's and thats about it.

the vocal effects come courtasy of a lexicon MX200, vocal EQ & compression is a Richardson Audio PL5, drum group compression is from an alesis 3630, and the GTR track is provesed by an AKAI MFC32 (on an aux send) with a slight 24dB/octave LPF and a phase shifter. will post pics of the outboard so you can see the settings i used.

Jude

Please use the "tunes_and_tracks" folder or we will delete your file!. Once uploaded, check the box next to your file, choose "HOTLINK" from the options at the bottom, and copy the link provided.

yo mate, did as requested but no link was given and now i cant find the file. any help would be really apreciated :)

Not sure, Jude. Perhaps it didn't upload properly, or maybe it was the wrong folder?

Once uploaded, the easiest way to find the file is to hit the 'Date' menu, which puts the files into date order, with yours being the top (or bottom, depending how it's toggled) of the list.

Looking at that folder, I see nothing uploaded in the past 3 days.

Might need to give it another go. :)

[mp3=400,30,0,center]red light nation jm mix.wav[/mp3]

here you go. hope it works :P

ive been going like  :bang: trying to figure out how to link it. its a good thing i can mix better than opperate a computer  ;D

that might fix it jude

[mp3=400,30,0,center]http://www.soundpunk.com/downloads/public/tunes_and_tracks/red light nation jm mix.wav[/mp3]

here you go. hope it works :P

ive been going like  :bang: trying to figure out how to link it. its a good thing i can mix better than opperate a computer  ;D

or this

http://www.soundpunk.com/downloads/public/tunes_and_tracks/red%20light%20nation%20jm%20mix.wav

Where did you find these cretons, Spec? I'm diggin where this could head. These are some very nice raw parts... you westies hide some talent over there!

Might fine work sharing this with us all... i'm sinking my teeth into it now. See how i can fu it for ya ;)

OK... here's a little chicken scratching. Nort mixed as such, not tweekafied even... just throwing down the challenge - there's more to this thing then just mixing down the original parts.

Thanks Speccy - this is just what i needed!! I have some work on that farking bass line... might need a dose of co-ordination + a splattering of missing talent ;D AN1x is playing happy families today... so i'm makin' hay while the sun shines.

[mp3=400,30,0,center]http://www.soundpunk.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1797.0;attach=635[/mp3]

Just lovin' this tune guys  :cans:

Where did you find these cretons, Spec? I'm diggin where this could head. These are some very nice raw parts... you westies hide some talent over there!

Actually, I don't know where they're based. Guessing US? But could be anywhere. I stumbled across them on the Pro Tools forum (DUC) when one of the guys posted wanting help with a mixdown and some Pro Tools pointers.

Great to see some stuff emerge here. I put together something just on headphones a while back, and now I've at last got my studio back together, I must give it another run through on real speakers and post it up. More of a mixdown than a remix, and making a 'bass' from the lead guitar part.

Will check out the other mixes properly on monitors before posting comments... but Jester, love the new bass from the AN1x... Sad to hear it's playing up though. What's wrong exactly?

Anyway, this is a project for Monday...

It seems the PSU for it has dropped in output voltage. Fortunately, it's a tricky dicky multi voltage one so i gingererly increased the voltage on it and she's a happy girl again. Unlike the Aragon 8008 amp which needs re-biasing. When i get off my lazy arse, i'll fix that. Will need to do it before the great RB invasion of Dec '08.

I through some nord larv in there as well. She's my special girl and i haven't tweak her buttons for months. Don't tell my Mrs, though - she'll be pissed the synths are getting more attention than her ;D