Vagrant Producer

What are you playing?

43 posts in this topic

On stage I generally play three keyboards.

A Roland 300sx piano through a Roland KC-350 amplifier.

rd300sx_review.gif

586852.jpg

A micro-korg with vocoder.

korg-microkorg.jpg

And an eKeys 49 USB trigger keyboard connected to a laptop with midi.

The whole rig looks pretty impressive on stage and gives me a great diversity of sounds to play.

Guitars : Gibson Explorer, Gibson Firebird V, Esp Viper, Gibson Doves In Flight Acoustic

Amp : Marshall Vintage Modern Half Stack

Basses : New century bass

Effects : Hendrix Wah, Stomp Box

Drums: Ludwig Accent Cs

I personally dont own all of these but this is the gear i have in my house to use:

Guitars: Fender Strat 50th Anniversary Custom, Our own customised EVH Fender Strat, Fender Telecaster, Gibson Les Paul, Gibson Flying V, Ibanez GIO Electric, Ibanez Acoustic and a Mainwaring & Connor Acoustic.

Basses: I dont actually have a Bass guitar but i would love one.

Keyboard/Piano: Yamha upright acoustic piano, Beale upright acoustic piano, and a Yamaha electric keyboard aswell.

Amps: Small Marshall 25 Watt or something, Fender 100 Watt, and a Custom Stack.

Effects/Pedals: We got a Pod with the floor board attachment and hear this. We bought a Cry Baby Wah Wah from a garage sale for $20. Deal or what?

We have a few Mic's a PA and some other stuff lying around but that pretty much it.

ESP Ltd Bass Viper

esp_VIPER154DXBLK.jpg

pretty metal looking bass, just bought it because it had a decent sound and was half price.

active pick ups, which ive never understood.. great, my bass requires battery power..

only other downside i guess is that it weighs the same as about a quater of the earth.

the 3 band EQ is useful though, and put to good use.

i usually just use both pick ups, and for the sake of hearing it also have the volume turned up.....

Currently using a Jackson DKMG hoping to upgrade when im back from europe, and an old Viper 50fm ltd which ive had for about 7-8 years. Got a few pedals as well and looking to get a boss me 50 cheap of ebay soon.

Amp wise running a Marshall 1960a 4x12 300watt cabinet and a cheap 120watt Bugera head which im looking to upgrade soon as well.

All i have is just an old spanish acoustic guitar and a Maton steel strings...those are my prefer instruments.....But the ageing i have a program call garage band that makes pretty good music. So not only i have learnt new things but my perspective has change a bit about what is a musician.

I just have an old acoustic that I am learning on and a casio keyboard lol cheap all the way!

My instrument is my voice, I don't need anything fansy or amps cos I got projection covered B)

Guitars: American Tele and a gibson les paul special (double cut)

amp: vox ac30 - the most damn beautiful sounding thing ever

pedals: korg pitchblack, paul cochrane timmy, keeley ts808, EHX POG2, Boss Re-20, line-6 DL4, EHX small stone, Strymon Blue sky reverb

Drums: ludwig epic pro beat kit

Well Hello,

Truly new to all this electronicsound. I had, back in the day (late 60s - early 70s) tenor sax: Selmer Paris VII, some old alto a beginner clarinet, and a flute of some kind. Google Nick Hefner for a few notes on my time with the Challengers. Sold everything after entering the army in 72. Then about 95, my wife bought me a used Yamaha EWI w/ the tone generator which I ran through the theatre system we had. I was really happy with all the tones except the saxes which just were not even similar to sax sounds. I'm reading that some of the newer EWIs have closer renditions.

Also have a Yamaha keyboard, a folk guitar (gut strings) and an inexpensive acoustic. I've now acquired a small protools thing and a couple Marshall Mics. Trying to learn how to use the recording stuff, but just beginning. Oh, yes I just got a Vox Wa pedle.

Any advice as to the order in which to approach things will be greatly welcomed.

^ Welcome olmanhef apols for the late reply hope you're still visiting the site :)

Re the EWI sax sounds, I think there are two sounds above any other that have failed in the transition to synths and MIDI, no matter what brand - the saxophone and the electric guitar. Especially to players of those instruments, there's something unforgivable about the lack of expressions and timbral subtlety.

Regards getting started, I'd suggest starting with some recording and experimenting with mic placements to get good sounds. Learning just how to create a session, record tracks and save the files safely is the groundwork for a good session - learning to edit and mix can come later once you have some source material to work with. Pulling good sounds from your mics will help enormously with your enthusiasm to keep on going and developing your craft in other areas.

Re the EWI sax sounds, I think there are two sounds above any other that have failed in the transition to synths and MIDI, no matter what brand - the saxophone and the electric guitar. Especially to players of those instruments, there's something unforgivable about the lack of expressions and timbral subtlety.

Yeah but there's something to be said about the elevator music vibe. It gives that quaint sense of pushing the guitars and sax into the middle ground instead of their 'insistence' of being up front with all their glorious intricacies. (Cos if I wanted that I'd record em' anyway!) ;)

Always good to see toys people are tinkering with. I just read this week that (in Australia at least) the Ukelele has become immensely popular with young school students and their music teachers alike to overtake the recorder in classroom group classes. Much easier on the ear I'm sure, and immensely cooler too.

My head hurt attempting to take on the guitar, so perhaps the 4-stringed ukelele might be more manageable.

So what do I play?

Each week I play percussion with local community orchestra, with around 8 performances a year. Typically timpani, snare, some kit work and the odd triangle. Was involved with another great couple of shows last Christmas with the local community choir groups running a 'christmas bells' theme, involving some drum kit work, timpani, djembe (West African drum) and some crazy jingle bells set to a 7/8 time signature.

This year coming up in April the local theatre company are putting on The Sound Of Music, so about to gear up for rehearsals. The percussion score is set up for a single player, which makes things easier yet varied to, with timpani, drum kit, glockenspiel all appearing at some point, but (mostly) not simultaneously.

For physical space limitations in the pit and and (re)tuning simplicity, I'm going to attempt to play timpani samples from an V-Drums kit hooked up to fxpansion's BFD2 running the B.O.M.B. expansion. In fact, the V-Drums will be simply acting a trigger for BFD2 for the drum kit sounds too, making easy swaps between snares hit with brushes vs sticks, even woodblocks and a church chime bell. The glockenspiel can be played from a Novation ReMOTE 37 SL MIDI keyboard within arms reach triggering another soft synth.

The real seller is using a different V-Drums preset for each song requiring timpani, with the possibly required pitch/notes preassigned to the BFD2 slots, then saving a preset with the necessary mapped notes for each song. There's nothing worse than needing to re-tune the timpani between songs, whereas this was, the retuning is a simple as a nudge on the preset dial:

Song 3:

V-Drums Preset 1

Pad 1 = G

Pad 2 = C

Pad 3 = Eb

Song 7:

V-Drums Preset 2

Pad 1 = A

Pad 2 = Bb

Pad 3 = D

etc.

So far it seems to be working, with the real challenge will be getting the sound levels balanced in the practice and performance sessions against the rest of the musicians, and projecting the sound effectively to the performers and audience from just a couple of speakers. Very easy to blast some people while others can't hear anything. Fortunately for the performances themselves, there's a front of house system that I can patch into.

Just gotta sort out getting the Novation ReMOTE 37 SL's inbuilt 3 port MIDI interface to stop sending its inbuilt keyboard on all the ports at the same time as the V-Drums seems to be appearing on all ports at the computers end. Ideally, the computer will have BFD2 receiving the MIDI output the V-Drums (via the MIDI of the Novation ReMOTE SL) while the glockenspiel softsynth only sees the MIDI notes being played from the Novation ReMOTE SL's own keyboard.

End result is it all gets mashed together so the V-Drum pads seem to be routed to the glockenspiel too.

All ideas from anyone using this gear would be most welcome. Think I'll start up a new thread...

I really only play my electric guitar: a basic vanilla Fender Stratocastor. (Not a classic one, the basic newer Superstrat)

Hey there people, just found this forum, seems nice.

Here's a little list of things I play with in my bedroom studio.

Korg Kaossilator

Korg Monotron Duo

Korg Monotron Delay

Korg Monotribe

Korg Electribe EMX-1SD

Korg microKorg

Korg nanoKONTROL2

Yamaha Motif 6

Teenage Engineering OP-1

Allen & Heath XONE:22 (2-channel DJ-mixer)

Boss DD-7 Digital Delay

Reason 7 (software, original license)

PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL (soundcard)

Rega RP1 (vinyl player)

Landola C-20 (acoustic guitar w/ nylon strings)

Eagle (pretty sweet electric guitar made in Korea, don't know the model)

Hiwatt G50 R (guitar amplifier)

Melodica (old plastic one, perfect for Reggae Dub)

Nice little collection of bits and pieces. Any audio snippets of the melodica? \

The local music shop has a few in the front window, with a rather tasty red one with black keys that's got me intrigued.

There's also crazy vaudeville pirate gypsy act out of Melbourne, Rapskallion, whose vocalist Sara regulary whips out the ol' melodica.

558992_10151142778846592_831391448_n.jpg

No audio recorded with it as of now, too much background noise from traffic and my PC.. looking for a new apartment now so I can build a little recording booth.

Of course it's not impossible to record here, maybe I should set up my Shure SM57 and try it out. :)