Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Craig Mac

Craig McWhinney - Devil May Care

30 posts in this topic

Alright,

So this track has been picked up by a digital label, and I'm about to go back in and do some mixdown work just to make it sound as good as possible pre-master.

Have a listen, if you hear anything that you think could be better please let me know.

I already plan to do a little more on the panning side of things, and will be fixing the arrangement somewhat in the end section (don't like the repeating string for too long, wanna cut it after the 3rd break).... but besides that, I want peoples opinions on how I can improve the mix if at all.

Thanks in advance Punks :)

Craig[mp3=400,30,0,center]http://www.soundpunk.com/downloads/public/tunes_and_tracks/CraigMcW_DevilMayCare.mp3[/mp3]

this sounds pretty cool man, only heard the first min or so but nice work -

mix sounds alright thru AKG K171's

who picked it up? i'd buy and play it :)

Got picked up by Nightshade music so will be available through Beatport, Juno digital etc probably around August or so.....

Gotst to get it ready for a bunch of remixes hence the urgency now to get it done.

And thanks dude! glad you like it :)

nice man. was expecting something techier but loved it all the same. nice big kick, love the way it rocks with that sublte bassline.

I think at times the strings are a bit too loud and you might wanna rethink the mix levels on the reverb on some of those drums. when i was listening i noticed the reverb stand out a bit too much. For me reverb is something that should be used very subtly. jus my 2c and i'm not super experienced in the production side of things.

Congrats on all the work ur getting, nice one.

Thanks Tank!!

I'll definitely be balancing the mix and adjusting levels on all elements to achieve a more unified sound.

I'll keep my ear on the verb too.

Thanks mate!

sexy track ,  mix needs a bit of clearing up , but the tune its self is great ..

Keep em comin d00d ..

Thanks Cheyne, yeah I tend to write quickly and do as little "production" as i can just to get the idea down.

There will be a rather intense mixdown sesh on this sometime soon, as well as some minor re-edits and such to get it really flowing....

Very nice! I agree with the comments about the verbs on the drums - the snare could be a little tighter I think, but that's just my untested opinon. Overall, a really great vibe though, and congrats on getting it signed!

Thanks dude, did a bit of work yesterday and yeah, snare i much tighter now. Will post results soon, when finished!!!

I owe you a better review ;P

It definately has a "now" vibe to it, riminds me of Aril or Vince with the bpm up a few notches,

the pads are clever the way they sorta wash in and out of each other, you got the complemtry rif going in background but as the pads die out it comes to the forefront then washes out again as the pads come back,

The strings sound pretty cool, i think all the sounds you've chosen suit the atmosphere of the track,

I gota say its pretty easy listening, it doesn't challenge the listener much.

Production is sounding tight, I like your perc work, its sitting nicely there amongst the mix, I'd ease of a bit on your orchestra/string stabs, infact, I'd ditch them all together, i think if i was making this track I would have eased of there with the stabs, use your sweepy strings to strip it back to a funky perc loop and more dominant bassline, but eh, maybe thats the remix. Its good clean techno, but I'd be listening to this in car, not on the floor. Good Work keep it up.

Thanks KL. Worked a bi ton the mix last night, the drums are much tighter now, levels are sorted, just working on some add-ons and getting the flow right.

Should finish it tonight, will post the results....

Oh gawd, noticed a bit of a botch on the dodgy self master there. Compressed too hard, gets loud after the breaks then quietens out. How embarrassing....

The file that's gone off to the label is un-mastered so isn't an issue, they'll be dealing with mastering themselves.

Thanks Tank. Glad it's sounding good to someone else, I've heard it too much now and can't see the forest for the trees in many respects....