Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neo

Patchbay??

3 posts in this topic

So I have the joyful prospect of having too many synths, not enough inputs.

I have 8 ins on my MOTU ultralite. I now have boxes with a total of 16 outputs I could be utilising, but realistically I could get away with 11; still 3 short.

So I was thinking I either need to get a mixer or another interface with more inputs. Someone suggested a patchbay would do the trick, since i'm rarely recording more than 2 or 3 inputs at once.

Is this i workable solution and which ones are good, if so?

Hhmmm... i did think you had 10 ins, but it looks like 2 are taken by spdif...

I don't see how a patch bay is going to help you if you're using 11 outputs at once. If you don't want to hear (let alone record) all 11 outputs at once, then fine, use a patch bay. If you want to hear (but not even record) all 11 outputs, you'll need a mixer with more inputs.

Best value patch bays, IMO, are the deadringers. I've got the ultrapatch, and it works fine. I'd stretch spending a bit more and make sure you get the one with normailsation etc. in it. This means later if you get a bigger desk and start running inserts on compressors etc. you'll have awesome stuff from the patch bay to allow easy changes in config.

Yup, 2 of my inputs are s/pdif

Nah, don't need to hear all 11 at once, really - I generally bounce my drums to audio pretty early on, which will free up those inputs for other stuff. Just don't wanna have to reach around the back of my rack to re-patch things so yeah, it sounds like this might be a goer.

Cheers ;)