Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neo

crackly / clicky sounds

6 posts in this topic

A lot of minimal and tech has a lot of crackly / clicky miniscule psudo percussive kinds of sounds and I just can't seem to get it right. The only things I can think to do is record the clicks coming out of my synths with the envelopes closed but they don't sound the same.

Ideas?

Captain Terrific's track "We Are The SoundPunks" has the sort of thing I mean. Care to share the secret?

grab yer noise where you can. keep the ears open for clicks and pops and sample those, or pops off vinyl.

but a very sharp env on a synth usually works pretty good for me clickwise, depends on the synth. if recording them you may want to check the levels to ensure you're not squishing the transient or sommat like that.

try playing around with percussive samples like rimshots and 808 clavs etc. pitching them up generally leads to pretty clicky noises.

soundpunk, i hear that's pretty cliquey too.

Good question Rich - dude it's a case of creation not discovery I find. Get any sound - doesn't matter what it is - make it real real short. As far as I've found the real trick is to focus in a big way on your levels with the incedental sounds - the trick is to mix them REAAAAL low in the track. They are more of a contributory type sound and when you're focused on them at the creative stage the tendency is to have them at equal loudness in the mix but by pushing them right back, as in really really low, they will become a bed and contribute movement more than percussion as such.

Gosh that didn't come out so fluid eh.

record the sound of a lead fucking up (or other similar sounds), compress the absolute fuck out of it, cut and edit, compress the fuck out of it again, run it thru some bitcrush and light distortion, cut and edit, compress the fuck out of it again and again and again

im pretty sure thats how i ended up with the clicky scratchy sounds in that track... i do get rather wasted when i write sometimes!!!

E's got a major point too. Its not the sound itself, but how it reacts with the other surrounding noises in the mix

try this - grab a woodblocky type sound (fast attack), pitch it, fuck with it and see how you go... delays and granulators can help make super happy fun times too

here's another one:

if you've got some kind of vst/sampling drum machine, take a percussive noise and either trim it or apply a Attack-Hold-Decay volume envelope with 0 attack, 1ms hold, 0 decay. if trimming trim so you only have one ms of the sound. in something like battery you can move the start point of the sample so slide that around and you can vary the tonal qualities of the click. when trimming remember you can trim a little off the start also. different source materials will also give different qualities, it's fun to play around