Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sinik_of_sin-inc

Future Planning

13 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm currently audio tech student in my final year of Uni (hi ISA users :P & RB) and soon will have to enter the real world and get a job (sound dramatic {dun dun daaaaaaaa]) ???

I wanted to head into games development, doing sound.

Is this possible or am i kidding myself?? :-[

Is there any one here doing this kind of thing?

Cheers

I have a mate who just landed a job coding sound for Pandemic - so yes, it can happen!!

If you have a dream, you have something to chase. Don't give up :(

There are a million talented youngsters fighting to get the games jobs so good luck. Just bust yr ass and be the best and it'll be the best chance you get. It's without doubt one of the most hotly contested of careers out there.  I'd say it's equal parts possible and impossible - it becomes a case of knowing where to look and looking there every 5 minutes to be first in line.

Good luck with it!

I_Love_Treble from ITM produces jingles on for ads using Pro Tools. Something else to consider...

...jingle-writing that is, not necessarily Pro Tools. ;)

Another line of work I'd considered is in radio, producing their station ID clips (eg. "Nova..Nova..Nova..") and in-house commercials. Again as stated, a tough market to get into, with just 1 or 2 people in every station (and even then, much of the work might be limited to 1 or 2 capital cities).

Of course, you could always move to WA and earn $100,000+ in the mines with zero experience.

i do promos for the Sultanate of Oman's Radio station... good coin when the work comes up

now, just to get a gig with Fairfax and I'll be sweet ;)

good dollars in jingle making too if u're good at it...

where do you live btw? there seems to be heaps of work in brisbane, a friends brother just got a job writing music for games up there. so um, that's one job already taken sorry :P

but yeah studios i know of are:

brisbane:

pandemic

thq

melbourne:

firemnt (lots of mobile phone games, vomit)

thq melbourne

krome (some spyro games, other licensed stuff)

act:

2K Australia (bioshock)

that's all i can think of off the top of me head, best bet is to keep going to their websites and checking the careers/jobs listings.

^^ Tank I'm no expert but I'd say these days a degree in games development, multimedia or audio tech wouldn't hurt.

But in that case you're competing with thousands of other graduate hopefuls who just coz they did the course doesn't mean they have the aesthetic nouse.

I used to teach mobs of multimedia students 100-200 at a time - churn em through like cattle. I'd say less than 10% had serious creative flair.

I'd say talent first, followed by fast and reliable, then the qualification - really just to show you can speak their language.

Might be blowing my own horn here, but I reckon hi-tech composition courses like mine, RMIT sound art, WAAPA music tech, Monash composition, etc are also valuable. Learning the art of composition (not just dance production) in a hi-tech context is a skill that can translate across a huge range of industries.

Cheers RB. May I ask which your course is?

I've been thinking about doing some kind of music/sound related degree after I finish the course I'm currently doing, though thats a ways down the track. Would want to lean more towards the sound design/composition side of things as opposed to recording etc. From what I could see the Monash course looked closest to what I'm after but I'll look into it further.