Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cheyne

Cheyne Wallace - Just Slave (Edit B)

28 posts in this topic

This is a re-edit iv been working on for a live set im building slowly.   I wrote the original last year , but decided it needed re-working before it could be used..  Ill eventually throw some more vocal samples over it ,  but heres the base version.

The original version can be found here-> http://www.soundpunk.com/index.php?topic=70.0

Check it out.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=4379&g2_serialNumber=1&g2_GALLERYSID=7ca2bbbca03fa261b3395457b147984d

[mp3=400,30,0,center]

http://www.soundpunk.com/downloads/public/tunes_and_tracks/Cheyne Wallace - Just Slave (Edit :P.mp3[/mp3]

Wow! Hey that's great, Cheyne!

Love the way the bass sits deep and low, the 'verbed percussion, and all those fade in/out synth bits, the stuttery growly synthy guitar bits. The busy-ness, yet cruisy-ness all the same.

Man, it all works so well! Am I right it's all your composition/production? Very nice! Where's that vocal from, BTW?

Cheers for sharing. 'Tis shaping up to be some killer live set! :P

Thanks mate :)

Yes all my own compilation  (painfully)  , although the drums I stole a 4/4 pattern from a sample CD. .. The rest was built up over way too many layers  ..

How does the mix sound on your speakers ??  Thats always my downfall ,  I dont really have a great place to mix down .. I gotta keep running out to my car to listen ;D

The vocal ?? .. *drum roll* ..  Is my voice , lol ..    there is actually about 20 seconds of singing that I chopped up  ...  im really buggered how song writers pump out tunes as that 20 seconds took me ages ! ;D

I also should mention that a large majority of the backing synth sounds that screech throughout the track arent actually synths but guitars iv played and run through a very very large chain of inserts .. I had to bounce the audio it was so CPU hungry ..

Hey that's not bad,

enjoyed listening to that

I can only listen to it through my trusty 1.3inch battery powered speakers at the moment (they've served me well) but it sounds good to me.

Sid.

How does the mix sound on your speakers ?? Thats always my downfall ,  I dont really have a great place to mix down .. I gotta keep running out to my car to listen ;D

Hmmm... first impressions, I thought the bassline could be nudged up a bit. My room ain't ideal either, and it took me to sit back a bit into the room's sweet spot to hear it properly.

Having said that, I'd also consider who my audience is. On a full-range club system (and headphones), I expect it'd sound sweet as is. On particularly small speakers, the bassline struggles/almost-disappears simply because the bassline instrument is quite subby by nature. The downside is, the track can then appear to drag on as it appears there's nothing happening when, in fact, everything's going on below the surface. I just had a listen on the laptop speakers, and nothing appears to get going until the guitar stabby bits kick in halfway along.

Perhaps crunching it a bit (mild distortion and EQ) could bring the mid-bass/midrange out of it, however, this might be detrimental to what's already going on in that part of the er, spectrum.

Part of me says stuff those that aren't listening on a big system, and go with the deep subby bass as it is, while the other half of me says mix for the small speaker crew, and it'll still sound great on a big system.

Perhaps, try both: a mix with an increase in bass level versus a mix with the bassline roughed up in the midrange? What do the rest of the 'Punks reckon?

As for the rest of the mix, I reckon it sits very well, with all the sweepy stuttering glitter placed sufficiently forward to catch the attention without sounding out of place. And while it's busy, it's tightly arranged with the way the various parts call/respond to/from each other. Nice! Like I said, I'm a fan!

Thanks for the feedback spec :)

Yea, the one thing im seriously lacking , is a descent room to mix down in ..  Im currently using  ALESES M1 Actives ,  setup in a shitty way , about 1 metre away from my head,  no sub ,  and one speaker against a wall and one not ..    its really a bad layout , but its all my room will permit ..

Im currently exporting to CD then playing in my car to really hear how it sounds ..

I read books like "Mixing with your mind" and i feel pretty bad about it ..

This one is actually about the 4th revision of the bassline , originally it was very heavy , and in my car with 2 x 12" subs ,  it damn near took my license plate off ,  so I toned it down ,  this one seems to be the best all round mix where nothing seems to get drowned out ..

I ran the bassline through Metalurgy about half way through to give it a bit of bite , but I think it could use a bit more ..

Cheers for the feedback ;)

that bass is doooope ......  the only criticism i could suggest is the drums need some more feel or groove .. they are fairly rigid ... it has a nice psyesque sort of feel just needs some groove

Wow that bassline does have a serious set of balls on it eh? I only heard it through crap sony bud earphones (and it sounds tough), but soon as i can get out to the shed I'll run it through the mon's and 360w sub that will make neighbours love me even more.

Bit hard for me to move about atm as I had surgery on my foot so i'm hobbling around like the hunchback of Notre Damn and whaacked up on hospital drugs..."I'm not an animaaaaaaaaal!"

I'll get out there soon :)

yeah man - diggin this big time!!

great use of vox too - are you gating some of them? sounds hawt!

chuck some sort of soft distortion over that bass to warm it up a bit and bring it up in the mix

I'd like to hear this on a biiiig system

Cheers guys :)  Its great to get a bit of feedback ,  I usually don’t hear a thing from my friends …  Ill spend weeks on something , and just get a  “sounds ok” response ..

HPS: Yea I think your right , the beat could be a little looser ,  I might even just sync up the whole track and add some swing,  maybe offset the beats a bit .. 

Silver:  Yea man , id be keen to hear how it sounds on different systems ,  it’d be nice to know im on the right track ..  let me know how it goes

CT:  Cheers ;)  Yea the vox was split over 3 tracks , with the 1 main one being gated and effected using  Camel Audio, Camel Space , along with metallurgy thrown in for good measure ..

This is fucking crazy! Would totally kill on a big outdoor system. Bass sounds fine on my monitors - which are the same as yours. On the built in Mac speakers, yeah you can hardly hear it, except for the break around 120 seconds where you filth it up a bit, then it comes through loud and clear.

I'd say call this the club mix and (if you can be bothered) work on an alternative for smaller speakers.

Seriously hot tune!

cool track. like the guitar work, vox effects - tastefully done,  . Personally i would like to hear a little more top end or mid on the bass or maybe as CT suggested a slight boost and distortion, just give to give it that little extra sparkle/drive.

Thanks guys  ;)  theres maybe a few tweaks left to be done ,  ill keep at it :)

I like it - great atmosphere, especially when those vocal samples kick in!!

I agree with HPS though that the groove is a little strange - I wonder if it would help if you lowered the volume of the "off" kicks. In the current mix it seems like they draw focus from the "1", which might be what's throwing me.

It's a small quibble though, and I notice it less as the track progresses - maybe it's just something the listener needs to adjust to! ;)

Dope show ;)

Im still yet to actually ever hear one of my tracks out in a club or a big system somewhere , its always just small systems ,  I havnt DJ'd in a while , and my mates that do DJ play music I probably wouldnt ever produce myself ..

Anymoo ... ill post back when its updated

cheyne you should head down to the cdj sessions at hermans you get to hear your shit on a good ish system ...

it's saved my arse on a DnB track i wrote and really helped me understand my new room and monitors alot ...

now i have to find a pro audio shop in honolulu i have money to burn and it's driving me nuts

Dope show ;)

Im still yet to actually ever hear one of my tracks out in a club or a big system somewhere , its always just small systems ,  I havnt DJ'd in a while , and my mates that do DJ play music I probably wouldnt ever produce myself ..

Anymoo ... ill post back when its updated

fly up to bris and i'll play it for ya ;)

cheyne you should head down to the cdj sessions at hermans you get to hear your shit on a good ish system ...

it's saved my arse on a DnB track i wrote and really helped me understand my new room and monitors alot ...

now i have to find a pro audio shop in honolulu i have money to burn and it's driving me nuts

Wait ...  your living in Honolulu ?     Werent you playing techno in sydney last time I heard?

** nice tip though , thanks ...  It could be a good idea

CT:  ;) you never know ... I could fly up there and ruin your set ;D

lovin your stuff man, it's got an awesome vibe with the rolling basses and beats that remind me of tracks like leftfield's inspection (check one) - speshly with those nice chunky guitars.

maybe some dist or swept mids on the vox to move them around in the mix - they just kinda sit there...

nice werk  :clap: