Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vagrant Producer

Midi Drums from Vkit

13 posts in this topic

Alright a pretty noobalicious one here -

I haven't actually tried as yet, but a few months ago I bought myself a roland V6 (K?) kit, mostly for kicks (pun intended  :bang:), with the idea that some time down the track when my drumming has more flavour and consistency I can record live drums for better feel as opposed to always programming them.

Obviously I can record audio from a stereo output, while not impossible to tighten/change it does take a lot of work. What I want to know is when I record directly into my 003 via midi; will I get playback from the kit (assuming the brain is on) or will I get a silent track and have to assign an instrument? OR is this going to be an application/hardware specific thing?

Are there any issues I should be aware of? Is my theory correct?

Yeah, you should be able to record MIDI into Pro Tools, hit play, and hear the kit's brain playback 'handsfree'.

Each pad will trigger a different note on the musical scale, while the high hat pedal will be captured as a Continuous Controller (no idea which number on the 0-127 scale though, but it shouldn't matter for now, and you can always bring up the MIDI Event List window to see what was captured.).

If you wanted to get clever, you could use program changes to recall the same drum kit each time you load the session, however, you might find it easier just to jot down the patch/kit used in the Pro Tools scribble strip, and then manually recall it.

Are you having problems with it, or yet to try it?

I'm keen to find out how it works for you as I'll be no doubt following your path in months (years?) to come. :)

Cool thats what pretty much what I thought. Yeah haven't tried it as yet (don't even an own a midi cable).  I will probably experiment over the next few weeks, so will let you know. Now just to get good at those drums!!

Please, please, please.. keep in touch with this. My biggest concern is Pro Tools not being fast/stable enough to retain a tight groove via. But if it all works, then it opens the floodgates of drum sound software (BFD, Strike) to immerse yourself into. I'm so over programming drum grooves, and an e-kit is just the perfect solution.

Cool! :)

my question on this is ... do you need to set up the tempo and swing settings in your DAW before you hit record?

I think it owuld be mad to just play along, and then set the groove/swing/tempo from the live playing.

^ Marky, depending on your sequencing app it can be done the way you want.

All apps will give the option to quantise while recording or not. When on, all played notes are immediately shifted to the grid saving time later. But if you want a freer feel just make sure quantising is off when recording. (some apps call it 'input quantising' too).

Regards using your own feel to map a groove from, I know Pro Tools and Cubase both do it, perhaps others but not familiar.

Pro Tools uses Beat Detective - tutorial here:

http://www.soundpunk.com/index.php?topic=1002.0

Cubase uses Groove Lifter - tutorial here:

http://www.soundpunk.com/index.php?topic=1137.0

These can be used for both audio and MIDI afaik - apps may also have a more basic 'groove template' creation feature as part of their quantising tools. Simply select a bar of your own playing and tell the app to convert the timing to a groove template. Any decent sequencer should be able to do this ;)

Not sure If Ableton can, sadly. hough I remember when you could add a master track thingy (Live 6?) this was a workaround. I've never used anything like Groove Lift - gawsh I'd like to try it though.

alright.. so I can I get it to write... I just can't get it to playback (unless I assign an instrument) - theoretically I should be able to get it to read the vkit as an instrument/output - right?..anyway will keep working...

Are you using an Instrument Track or a regular MIDI Track?

Yeah, the track's MIDI output in Pro Tools needs to match the MIDI channel the VDrums is expecting it on. What's the default MIDI channel for the kit?

And you're not drunk, are ya? :(

There both a TD10 (AUD$4500) and TD6 (AUD$1300) in the local paper... only a matter of time, only a matter of time...

$1300 isnt too bad at all I got the td6v for $1800 off the floor.. (priced at 2.9k - standard music store over pricing) a bit more than I was looking to pay but was in a mood to spend... my bro got a td6 for $900.. but the brain is far uglier... which of course is the most important thing...

Yeah I figured there is midi channel setting somewhere on the kit.... but fucked if I can find it.... might have to download a manual... rtfm!! lol!

Yeah I figured there is midi channel setting somewhere on the kit.... but fucked if I can find it.... might have to download a manual... rtfm!! lol!

Yeah what are doing wasting our time?  ;D

Default MIDI channel is likely to be 1 or 10, 10 being the GM standard.