Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ajent X

Soundpunk Radio ?

11 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Have been away for a bit, too busy with family and work but getting back into tha nets etc and was thinking if having some sort of sound punk radio was possible.

It came up for purely selfish reasons, I live in brisabne, my best mates in adelaide, we often talk on a friday night but can't indulge in the old days of a mix, drink and chat. I was talking about trying to stream a live mix so I could mix and drink and just use the puter to chat and he could listen whilst having a drink etc as well. I suppose virtually hanging out.

Then I'm thinking, what if it could be done through SP, it wouldn't have to be full time or any thing but if someone wanted to broadcast a show or something they could put there name on a roaster and a monthly program could be created. We could even have a virtual house party from different states with different people playing at different times through the night. I have heard rumors of these recovery parties down south and it would be great if they were streaming so others could join in.

Is this ration thinking or am I totally out of the loop regarding this type of thing?

It doesn't have to start out big, just a few broadcast here and there and see how it goes. I know from peoples backgrounds there must be an amazing collective of music on this site from the members so why not share it with each other.

Cheers,

Ajent X

imo, the best forum based online radio station example is the very popular www.nuskoolbreaks.co.uk

definately a desirable model, shows run by members

have a look at its setup, i honestly think we have enough members to make it work here - ive been pushing itm to do one, even if unofficially through live365.com but they keep whinging about how hard itll be - bollocks

yea , this is definitely on my ideas list , although I think the idea of a podcast is a little more practical at the moment ..    If people are going to go to the trouble of playing something live for soundpunk, id like to put it to more use and publish it in a podcast or something that people can download over and over again.

The only other problem with radio is that it requires a running service on the server at all times not just a web app like podcasting, and unfortunately  we dont have that type of access to the machine , for obvious reasons.  When we eventually get to the stage that I buy a dedicated server for soundpunk and we have over all access to the machine then this idea would be a lot more viable ,  right now , we'd have to use a third party service , which im not mad on ..  I want soundpunk to be completely self reliant .

AjentX , mate if you want to make some original content for soundpunk, il gladly find a place for it somewhere ,  or if you have a good idea for a possible radio solution for a more "unofficial" soundpunk radio then im all ears. :D

i was hecka keen on this quite a while ago as i have a server which i use purely for the purpose of steaming and it's pretty much 99% dormant.

ajent x you're more than welcome to use it whenever (as long as someone else isn't)

i'll just try and find my old post

*tries to find*

*finds*

here's there link - http://www.soundpunk.com/index.php?topic=76.0

hehe posted over a year ago. well i never! oh that soundpunk *pinches cheeks*

its a good idea , go for it ,  i just doubt we'd get enough people to do a frequent show ..

Another idea iv had is to somehow compile all the submitted tracks into a playlist , and basically random play all these tracks over the wire , a bit of a makeshift radio station ,  then when ever we want to do a show , just cut in

i was hecka keen on this quite a while ago as i have a server which i use purely for the purpose of steaming and it's pretty much 99% dormant.

Can you serve me up 3 dim sims and a pork roll?

;D fuk I'm funneh...

Hey guys,

I'm pretty stoked that you're all digging this sort of thing. After reading Cheyne initial response I was thinking that creating a regular podcast would be the better solution at present.

I've just picked up i life 08 and garage band has a simple podcast creator so I'll use this for the first one.

I'd be honest in saying that I have little to no production skills or abilities so I would might need to put a shout out for short sound snippets for"soudpunk" etc.

Once I have a go at a couple I would be happy to try to commit to a regular program on a fortnightly basis.

I would also use it as a vehicle to play music from unsigned producers, but it would still have to be music that I am into and suit the style of the show and of a high production level.

If you would be happy with hosting a podcast Chayne I get into it to get the software extra down, just need to find a mic.

Any tips or words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Ajent X

I has one but to be honest I haven't tried it out yet and I didn't think it would be suitable for this type of application.

I'm happy for it to prove me wrong.

Hey guys,

I'm pretty stoked that you're all digging this sort of thing. After reading Cheyne initial response I was thinking that creating a regular podcast would be the better solution at present.

I've just picked up i life 08 and garage band has a simple podcast creator so I'll use this for the first one.

I'd be honest in saying that I have little to no production skills or abilities so I would might need to put a shout out for short sound snippets for"soudpunk" etc.

Once I have a go at a couple I would be happy to try to commit to a regular program on a fortnightly basis.

I would also use it as a vehicle to play music from unsigned producers, but it would still have to be music that I am into and suit the style of the show and of a high production level.

If you would be happy with hosting a podcast Chayne I get into it to get the software extra down, just need to find a mic.

Any tips or words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Ajent X

I actually already have put in place the backend system to host and run the podcasts ,  im almost ready to go with it , but need content ...

Iv already raised all these points and put out the show for help earlier but no one has shown interest currently ..    well ,  people have shown encouragment but no one has submitted anything yet.

See here for my original posts -> http://www.soundpunk.com/index.php?topic=1183.0

IM ready to create a podcast and run it ,  I just need people to contribute  .. read the above thread for my ideas and thoughts on a format for the podcast .

i like your enthusiasm Ajent X ,  keep at it and lets make it happen ...  just round up some content :)