Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
neo

Ground wire in a snake?

13 posts in this topic

In an effort to combat the cable spaghetti monster living under my desk, I just bought a 2m balanced snake to connect all my boxes to the Ultralite (which is now completely chock a block, need more inputs!) and it has this extra thin wire in it reminiscent of the earth wire on a turntable. What am I meant to do with it?!

Love it and care for it. Feed your snake mice at regualr intervals and when big enough, feed it small children.

sounds like a case of electromagnetic interference

i think you can get special ferric magnet sheaths that prevent inteferrance buildup in this situation

somebody with actual electrical engineering experience let me know if im on the right track here

My understanding is that it it's there to:

Unite the equipment with a common ground by linking the chassis of each piece of gear together (ie. unscrew one of the rear chassis screws, sand back to bare metal, attach bare 'earth' wire, screw back tightly).

May correct earth loops...

...or make matters worse?

What cables are they? Many RCA leads aimed for the car audio market seem to have this additional 'earth' lead, as does the higher end shielded 'stereo' audio cable from the likes of Jaycar. Personally, I've ignored it when rigging up car stereo head units to amps. And my Hosa studio snakes don't have any stray leads.

sounds like a case of electromagnetic interference

i think you can get special ferric magnet sheaths that prevent inteferrance buildup in this situation

somebody with actual electrical engineering experience let me know if im on the right track here

I'd say no, simply because the extra lead isn't wrapped around the signal-carrying wires, and therefore presents no shielding against EMF (electro-magnetic field) radiation.

Perhaps Jester can chime in here... :)

fyi - I'm not getting any ground loop / noise / hum problems. Just curious about the purpose of the wire.

Sorry... I'm too busy making wise about snake larv.

It could well be for EMF - but depending on how the cable is terminated you'll never know without cutting it open. If the end has a 'boot' on it to make it look neat, there's no way to tell if the multi-core does infact have a sheild around it.

Is there a wire on each end of the snake? If yes, then Spectrum is most likely correct in that it's to earth equipment together. If there's only a wire at one end, then it's more likely Donnie is right (amazing, i know!) and it's there as a sheild o nthe snake. Seems like a waste of a sheild if it's only a 2m snake. Seems like a waste of a 'ground plain' if there's only one lead each end of the snake. If there's one lead for each balanced plug, then spectrums comment would work.

Personally, i think it has to do with trapping mice. After all, it's not a snake if it doesn't eat mice.

It's a single, thin insulated wire that goes all the way through, poking out both ends. Efficiency is thus doubled since it allows the catching of two mice simultaneously.

It's a single, thin insulated wire that goes all the way through, poking out both ends. Efficiency is thus doubled since it allows the catching of two mice simultaneously.

Sounds like what spectrum was talking about then. Just ignore it until it gets fat from eating twice the mice... then chop off one of its' heads.

This could be something...

I'm not sure what a turntable earth wire looks like but I have seen a few different multicores that have wire going through them, it was my understanding that it was supposed to protect the other wires from being pulled too tightly. For example, you've plugged in the tails into your mixing desk or whatever, if the plugs are off the ground (or if someone trips on the multicore) the weight of the multicore is being supported buy your thin cables in the plugs so (as far as I knew) the stronger cable was there to take the weight and give the thinner cables some slack, theres usually somewhere to connect it to on the back of a mixer (also sheild post) although most be people just let the multicore hang from the multicore tails.

could this be the wire you're talking about, does it look like it is supposed to take weight?