Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pan_down

Distortion

42 posts in this topic

G'day All,

have been thinking about adding some extra distortion capabilities to my setup, just wondering if anyone has recommendations or advice on how I'd go about choosing the right product, i.e. what would i need to spend, hardware vs. software, names of some good units....

cheers

As far as guitar-type effects go, I've always preferred overdrive to the regular distortion.

What do you want to mess up?

And ain't bitcrush the *new* distortion? ;)

just looking to twist up bass and lead sounds a bit more, not really getting the sounds i want from the logic effects. Looking for something that can mangle the sound but still retain some warmth if that makes sense...

dude! bitcrush is soooooooooooo 2005.

hardware-wise, just play with pedals in a shop, there's a huge range of different pedals offering straight distortion, overdrive, tube gain, wierd shit (super-feedbacking-distorter?). if you want something a bit different go for the less obvious stuff, like this:

TM-7 Scrotum Smasher

or

TM-1 Waveshaper

there's even a nice little chart...

tm1waves.gif

software it's pretty hard to go past Guitar Rig. i use it for synth effects heaps as it's got a great range of distorters & overdrivers & gainers. you don't need to use the amp head and speaker models, just put a clean synth line in and run it through superdistorters of choice. i like the transamp (sans amp emu) among others.

so yeh software overdrive and distortion, GuitarRig killerawesome.

SOME GUITAR RIG MODULES  (right-click "View Image" to see full, or download locally)

Guitar-Rig-2-lg.jpg

dude! bitcrush is soooooooooooo 2005.

;D

Exactly. It's ridin' on the bleedin' edge for someone like me who peaked in 1997.  :-[

Well I have been considering flying over for an iNPuT session before the screaming/shitting thing arrives and puts a stop on going anywhere.

You know what, that might actually work. Maybe April/May?

EDIT: I think I've been using that bitcrush gag for around 3 years too. ;)

Whoah, in all the commotion, I almost missed this...

TM7largealternateSM.jpg

<eek!> :wtf:

haha thats gold!

2nd guitar rig for software distortion - so flexible

Geez... and to think in '94 Mark Newlands and the Bloody Fist crew were doing that using a tracker. We've come such a long way...

Geez... and to think in '94 Mark Newlands and the Bloody Fist crew were doing that using a tracker. We've come such a long way...

my amiga mouse is broked ;) apparently if i want a new one i might as well just get a whole new amiga for thirty bucks on ebay.

or i could get this.. Amiga 2000, 8 meg ram 1 GIG HDD

mega! :D

i had an amiga back in the day, i only ever used it for playing leisure suit larry tho...

oh and the occasional epic voyage through Kings Quest!