Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rhythmboy

Robbilates for Software N00bs

4 posts in this topic

ROBBILATES FOR NOOBS

Seven Tips for learning your software.

By Robbie Renker

Practise one of these for a short time each day, or for 20 minutes three times a week :)

In no time you’ll be lean, toned and feeling younger than ever!

1. EXPLORE THE MANUAL OR HELP FILES. Read one small, specific section each session, and absorb it fully. Practise the technique or find the command immediately. Practise searching both the Contents and the Index – they explain things differently and one may be more helpful.

2. EXPLORE THE PREFERENCES/SETUPS. All apps have preferences/setup window/menus. It is invaluable from very early on to know where it is and what it contains. Even if you don’t understand all of it, explore one new preference each session. Over time you will customise your system and self-help your own troubleshooting. With hardware settings and digital jargon, if in doubt don’t touch, or remember the way it was and put it back if things go wrong.

3. A MENU A DAY. Choose one menu and open every item in it. Even you don’t know what it means, look at it anyway and at least absorb the jargon. Use a temporary song and have a go at everything. Even if the machine seizes up at least you’ll know not to do that again! One day you’ll need them, they’ll make sense and you’ll have a head start.

4. A TOOLBAR A DAY. Most apps replicate the menus with graphic icons in toolbars. As well as learn the ones you use a lot, go further and explore all of them. Discover which ones have menu equivalents, keyboard equivalents, or no equivalent. Over time you will discover which option is fastest for you.

5. KEYBOARD SHORTCUT A DAY. They speed things up enormously. While in the menus, stop and look at the keyboard shortcuts located next to a lot of menu items. Take some time to learn a few and practise them immediately, over and over for a session until they are comfortable. Use them diligently for a few sessions and they’ll become second nature.

6. LEARN THE NUMBERS. Each program numbers their bars and beats, marker numbers, timelines, etc slightly differently. Some strings look confusing at first, but ultimately they follow quite logical patterns. Eg. Pro Tools labels 16th notes as1/000, 1/240, 1/480 and 1/720. Ableton Live divides them as 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4. Over time, learn to see the numbers as recurring patterns and you’ll navigate your counters and bars more quickly.

7. LEARN IN MACROS. Take a specific you want to master, one that requires a sequence of events. Eg ‘Import a loop, drop it at bar 1 and warp it to tempo’. Do the task over and over in succession, say 6-10 times. Do it slowly and methodically to start, even talk yourself through. Then do it faster and faster. Repeat over a few sessions until you are fluent.

Send your $39.95 a month to me courtesy of Robbilates Inc. ;)

Very nice robert! "menu a day" is a good one...... soooooo many menus i never ever ever open. i do wonder what's in there

the cheque is in the mail, just don't cash it till thursday....

YES. YES. YES!

Performing excercise number 2 unlocked a MASSIVE issue I had been having, which has made me a very happy camper!

Pleasure guys!

Just made a small edit to the post:

Part 1 should have said "explore the Manual..." not "explore the Menu..." as originally written. Fixed now  :D