Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jubei

Battery powered system

22 posts in this topic

Heya, not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but I'm thinking of building a little system for my bike, and am looking at how best to power it. Its mainly going to be used for picnics, BBQ's and small impromptu outdoor parties. Its probably just going to run a walkman, or mp3 player. So far all I can find or think of is using a little battery powered t amp like this:

http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/prod71.htm

or using car audio equipment, and trying to run it off a car battery.

I'd like more power than the first option, but don't know if I have the expertise (or ifs its really even possible) to use car audio. I've got a spare car amp lying around, so I'd only need to get some suited speakers, and then some hook it up to a battery (I think). I'm going to build a custom tray to house it all, but size and weight is obviously a factor.

Wondering if anybody has any ideas or should I just give up

Probably a silly question, but are bikes running 12volt or 6 volt these days (or were they never 6 volts)?

What sound quality?

What duration?

How to haul a couple of even 6x9s or 8" subs - and their mandatory enclosure - around on the back of a bike is gonna be your first, er, roadblock. Seriously, where are you going to store it all?

^Why wouldn't he just buy one of those new fangled bike trailers? Oh, we talking pushbike of motor bike? Not sure about motor bike, but pushbikes you can get/build small trailers for them. Youd easily fit a 12Volt car battery, a sub and some 6*9"s in there with an amp etc.

12V stuff would be the go. Car audio is amazingly simple. Just read the directions and follow them. It's only real complication is when you're trying to splice into an existing system, which you're not... so don't worry about it. Connect positive to positive and negative to negative. Easy.

The other option you have would be to buy an inverter and run that off the car battery. The drawback is it's not as efficient as running stuff directly from 12V like car audio, so shorter battery life. The advantage is you can plug pretty much any 240V household appliance into it.

If i wasn't fat and lazy, i'd build a small trailer and integrate at least 2 car batteries in parallel inside it. Hooking them in parallel gives you more current/longer life but still consistent 12V. I'd make the trailer the enclosure for the speakers and sub, and mount any amps inside the trailer. I'd make the trailer like a giant ported sub box to allow the amps to cool, and have smaller seperate enclosures for the 6*9"s or whatever you choose. I recon i'd also leave it with enough surface area on top that i could buy some 12V solar battery chargers from Jaycar, and allow the batteries to charge while riding or during use at the picnic. It's also allow them to recharge if you're doing night things while camping. Now... maybe i should become more active to try this cool sounding experiment out?

Nah. I'm getting me another beer...

Ok, so we're trailering it. Well changes the landscape dramatically. I was thinking that cargo pants and a birdwatcher's vest was only going to carry so much ;D

Yep, car-oriented gear is definitely the way to go, IMO. While I've not used it for a few years, my trusty 5 channel Soundstream amp delivers a startling clear and potent sound. And as Jester says, so much simpler (and safer - inverters can kill!) to rig up.

Well, I'm all out of beer... Jester, your shout (again)?  :;)

that's a fully sik idea jester. especially the 12v solar panels.

and doing laps of chapel st (or whereva muzz'z do laps in syd) on a pushy with a massive sub sticking out the back of it!

can i get a dual mode +/- 12v for my modular rack?

Hey again, thanks for the welcomes. Sorry, should have mentioned it was going on a push bike. I'm hoping to avoid using a trailor, but will if thats going to be the only way to fit it in. My bike has an existing tray over the back wheel, and I was going to try and build a frame to house it all, that could slide on and off that tray, so the bike can still be used without the system.

I was trying to find some more info on the net, and found these guys who have got their shit together

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2007/11/29/nyregion/1129-BIKES_index.html

I'm going to try for something like that, though maybe start out a little smaller, and work up.

Reinforced back rims for a starters  ;D

They do look pretty awesome (just hope there's no hills to ride up)

20054491.JPG

20054485.JPG

Best start would be two mids on the front (with a couple of horns/tweeters) and a sub and amp (+battery) on the back with an ipod input.

... and a tomtom  ;)

or...

shopping.jpg

^ that is so damn cool. I made up a picnic system myself, essentially two six by nines and a car amp mounted in a wooden box. simple design, runs off a sealed lead acid battery 12 V 4.2 ampH for about two hours at decent volume. rechargable but you can still run it off two of those 6V batteries that you put in dolphin torches. sick system with good sound. great for the beach. "fully sick BRO!" now i just need a "subwoofer". haha

anyone seen that guy at sydney protests with a stero in a wheelie bin?

you could put an esky in there as well.

ta spec,

i is l33t like donnie and dec0n, awesome movie btw  :P

I was actually looking for an image of one of those shopping trolleys at the supermarket that people with wheelchairs use.

Reckon something like that would work a treat  ;)

anyone seen that guy at sydney protests with a stero in a wheelie bin?

yeah one guys on the net has one in a wheelie bin... "wheelie good stereo" haha lame