Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jax

Drum Sound

9 posts in this topic

Was hoping anyone out there is able to tell how to achieve a particular drum sound. The sound i am talking about is heard quite alot in trance. It is generally the last kick drum, going into a breakdown, then immediately followed by a sweep down in pitch of that kick. My first thought was to sample a desired kick side-chained to a gate on a seperate chanel with a test oscillator automated to carry out the sweep. I have not been getting the best sounding sweeps. Is the only way to get a better sound, like the one i am describing, through a drum synth? If anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated.

P.S: If noone knows what i am talking about let me know. I am sure i could find a sample. 

i think i know what you mean, not very experienced with trance tho sorry.

take that kick and try time stretching and pitch-bending.

kicks often have a bit of natural pitch decay, so time stretching will not only give you a longer kick sound to work with, but it will bring out that pitch bend.  if you can then apply a pitch bend going from natural and sliding down a few semitones then you should be sorted. this is easy in cubase, what're you using?

You want to timestretch your kick drum. Different kicks will give different results when stretching them different lengths (to confuse you!) - basically some will sound better than others. It's a device I tend to use quite a but in my music and fortunately Cubase's excellent timestretch resize tool makes light work of it.

Try stretching a normal kick to about 1 bar in length and behoooooold. The reason for this is that a kick drum is in fact a very fast pitch sweep from high to low - by stretching it out you're effectively extending that sweep's decay into ultimate techno booooooooooomery.

If you're having issues - I'll post a couple up for you that I've made.

Alternatively - to do it with a synth - dial up your standard kick sound then give it about 4 or 6 times its normal decay. Likewise - behooooooooooooold.

And equally answered by tha Ban. Funnily we learned it the same way and we do it the same way hence remarkably similar techniques. I am however far more handsome.

808-style bass drop?

Jax, love a sample too, if you can. Just a few seconds from a commercial track is fine, any more and we'll need to send the plate around the collect royalty donations. ;)

Though the *other* married couple on the forum have probably got it sussed for you by now.

Though the *other* married couple on the forum have probably got it sussed for you by now.

San and Ban - scaaarrryyy couple ;)

Good tips tho - also a fan of the House 'bomb' drop, basically a kick with a 4 sec/2 bar cathedral reverb and some lo-pass filter. Hands in the air cheesy but it works.

very helpful have achieved some great booming sounds. Just as easy in logic 8 to achieve with time and pitch machine. For any logic users follow steps: 1. go into sample editor of kick drum 2. then go drop down tab 'factory' and click time and pitch machine 3. change the length to desired amount of bars. But as you said ehsan some kicks are better to work with than others. Thanks for tip.