Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tribalchris

Vitreous - 200710271353AMS v2

23 posts in this topic

Title: 200710271353AMS version 2

Artist: Vitreous

Description:  A little experiment that I thought y'all might be interested in. This was basically a little challenge I set myself a few months back when I went away for business (which meant I had Logic, but no plug-ins or hardware). I recorded a minute of dialing around on the AM band of a transistor radio, and then used that as the only sound source, so all the sounds you hear are samples or sampler instruments created from that file (hence the track title - the source material was recorded at 13:53 on 27 October, 2007, in Amsterdam). I also used Logic plug-ins for reverb, EQ, dynamics and filters.

The result is not really up to the usual standard, but it was a great little exercise in sound creation (kick drums are a bitch to create from scratch!). Would love any comments on the track or on this sort of "limitation" experimenting...

Stream / Download

[mp3=200,20,0,center]http://www.soundpunk.com/downloads/public/tunes_and_tracks/vitreous-200710271353AMS.mp3[/mp3]

Holy crap! What a great exercise! Absolutely awesome percussion sounds and groove, along with those whispy sounds like someone in my ear... does AM even offer that fidelity?! Gotta love that filter synth-like stab around 270secs!

So much atmosphere, vibe, and er, musical-ness... a great track, and knowing the insight (and disciplines) behind it only make it better.

Really, really cool. AM has never sounded so good! :)

Cheers Spectrum, and no, AM sure don't offer that kind of fidelity - actually the radio I used had a pretty crappy antennae, so the sound quality of the original file was very crackly. I used the AM band rather than FM because you seem to get more whiny squeals between signals on the AM band.

Most of the whispy or pad sounds are sampler instruments made from very small loops ie. 2-3 oscillations, with the filter envelopes or LFOs to provide the movement. And the percussion bits are larger samples, though the static generally made for better single hits than the actual broadcast music.

There's a "version 1" which is a very different take on the whole thing - I might try and post it at some point when I have a chance to go back and give it a listen.

Love the track tribalchris...

You want to put up on the SP myspace page? I can do for you if you like...

forgot to mention at the time but this is awesome mate :P love where it nearly trips over at 129

and the first mix is a great little slice of chilled oddness.

A bit of a follow-up on this one, with another in the series. Same concept, this time made using a minute's worth of radio dial surfing in Cairo, Egypt. I think it actually reflects the location a bit (though somewhat unintentionally).

On a side note, I'm interested in putting these out as a little EP-type release - given the slightly quirky nature of the music, a simple self-organised release might be the way to go, but does anyone have any suggestions for labels that might be into this sort of music?

Stream / Download

[mp3=200,20,0,center]http://www.soundpunk.com/downloads/public/tunes_and_tracks/200805122314CAI-v1c.mp3[/mp3]

I've got some awesome recordings from my trip to Sth Africa a few years back. Airplane in flight broadcast, SA radio, and weird nature noises and storms n stuff. I have wanted to do something much like what you've done here, but never got around to it.

Amazing how creativity can be helped along by limitations, huh?

Top work dude. I am feeling inspired.

The saga continues, this time from Bangkok! Same system, though my upgrade to Logic 8 and embrace of Ultrabeat has meant I've started using that as the sample playback mechanism rather than the EXS sampler - a mighty powerful tool it is too (even if you're not using the built-in sound generators).

This one is definitely on a more experimental trip... though I think it could fit reasonably well into a minimal set! I'll be very interested to hear any objective perspectives though!

Stream / Download

[mp3=200,20,0,center]http://www.soundpunk.com/downloads/public/tunes_and_tracks/vitreous-bangkok.mp3[/mp3]

Sorry to raise a zombie thread from the dead, but apparently that wasn't the final instalment. geoSync has been picked up by New York label Plan B Recordings (who released my 'Noord EP' last year), professionally mastered, and will be released tomorrow (available through traxsource.com).

I'll post the exact details tomorrow, but in the meantime, check out this video for one of the tunes, that was put together by Lola, one of Plan B's stalwarts:

hmmm... embed not working... here's the link: